FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I just wanted to have you guys check this idea and see how it holds up. I origianally wanted to kl swap it but theres a lack of mx3's for parts. I'd like to get started on piecing it all together with my next paycheck and the little cash saved up.

'95 lx sedan

1. Zetec engine/flywheel
2. 95 contour's fuel rail? (Can I cheat and still use this? or do I rly have to get the zx2 pump and wiring also?)
3. zx2 wiring harness and MAF
4. zx2 ECU (was wondering of S/R's for 93 octane tune)
5. 2.0 spi MTX and axles. (I know I can use the zx2's but the spi's are alot more abundant around here in salvage yards)

well, Anyone see anything wrong or missing????

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
You have some conflicting info going on here.

If you use the Zx2 ECU, you must use the Zx2 flywheel (cant use 1.9 tranny), harness, fuel pump, fuel rail, MAF, cluster and all wiring related to any thing that is engine/fuel. The new wiring will be OBd2 with a non-return fuel system.
You have to run the Zx2 flywheel because of the crank trigger.

If you use the 1.9 ECU then you will need the 95 contour fuel rail to keep the return fuel system working. You'll also reuse the 1.9 MAF, injectors and what not. You'll also keep the 1.9 flywheel and tranny, but have to make your own crank sensor trigger pulley.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man im excited. I cant wait to get this started. I love this forum, anythings possible, Im glad I have the pros at hands reach.

1. Okay, I understand the crank trigger issue, which is why I wanted to use the 2.0 sohc tranny. But the more I read this sounds like a bad Idea, missing starter and housing bolts sounds like a recipe for disaster evenutally. Also I see the 2L spi tranny has lower gears then the Zetec's. Better gas mileage at the sake of performance doesnt sound fun either.

2. My fuel rail question was I didnt know if I could use the zetec harness/ecu and get by with using the 1.9 fuel pump and contours fuel rail, and maybe hard wire the fuel pump?(I understand that would be a rig up job,but for some reason it just made sense to me) But I guess not huh??lol

So then, as far as fuel, im gonna need the zx2 pump/rail and wiring. Now am I goin to have to get the zx2 gas tank also then????

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
tryin2fly said:
But the more I read this sounds like a bad Idea, missing starter and housing bolts sounds like a recipe for disaster evenutally.
I dont recall any hardware problems when I did it.

tryin2fly said:
Also I see the 2L spi tranny has lower gears then the Zetec's. Better gas mileage at the sake of performance doesnt sound fun either..
IIRC the Zx2 has a lower gear ratio, and the SPI has a taller 5th?

tryin2fly said:
2. My fuel rail question was I didnt know if I could use the zetec harness/ecu and get by with using the 1.9 fuel pump and contours fuel rail, and maybe hard wire the fuel pump?(I understand that would be a rig up job,but for some reason it just made sense to me) But I guess not huh??lol

So then, as far as fuel, im gonna need the zx2 pump/rail and wiring. Now am I goin to have to get the zx2 gas tank also then????
The Zx2 ECU controls the fuel pressure electronicly, there is a sensor on the rail, and the ECU speeds up and slow's down the pump as needed. The 1.9 uses a mechanical fuel pressure regulator. If you take away the fuel pressure sensor from the Zx2 and replace it with the older mechanical FPR, it might not like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts