FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a strut is a spring and a shock combined; and to have independant rear suspension you have to have struts on all four wheels, correct? So why am I hearing that people are installing struts and springs? Is that only for proteges or do you just install springs seperately than shocks on the back, even if it's independant suspension? Do proteges have independant suspension?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The strut is the tube thing that the spring coils around.

Job of spring: absorb energy of impact
Job of strut: DAMPEN movement of spring- without a strut, our cars would bounce up and down for a very long time every time we encountered a bump. The strut is basically a piston moving through a viscous fluid. Due to the viscosity of the fluid, when the piston moves though it, it encounters resistance - the magnitude of this resistance is dependant on the velocity of the piston through the fluid. blah blah blah

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you can replace the springs without replacing the struts... Okay. But I had someone tell me a day or so ago that a strut was the spring and the shock (which was what you described as the strut) put together in one peice. Hmmm. Well, your way makes a lot more sense to me. Because the guy had both springs /and/ struts listed. So shocks, those are just the word for general suspension?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.