FEOA Forums banner

Yet another ignition problem...hesitation before starting

Electrical 
843 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Macgyver4 
#1 ·
Starter was replaced in December 2010. Ignition Switch replaced in September 2011.

Recently, there's a problem that has been getting progressively worse. I have to hold the ignition in the "Start" position for quite some time before anything happens. At first it was just a second or two. Now, I have to turn and hold the key on "Start" for around 6-8 seconds before the starter kicks on. Not sure if it's ignition related, or if it's the sensor for the clutch pedal. How would I go about checking it?

1991 1.9 Wagon

#2 ·
Try the next several times pushing HAARD on that clutch pedal and see if it starts every time.

Is there a carpet or pad that you have that could be sliding upwards below the clutch pedal that keeps the pedal from going all the way to the MAIN floor to "engage" that switch?

Or have you recently purchased a new thicker mat?

It's happened to me on a different car [Ford Mustang].

LarryR

#4 · (Edited)
Check the condition of the battery posts/terminals and make sure they are clean/tight. Check to make sure the connection at the starter and ground are also clean/tight and check the condition of the battery cables to be sure they don't have corrosion within the cable and that there's no burnt or broken areas on the cables. If all this checks out fine have your battery load tested.

#5 · (Edited)
Do you hear any click sounds when you try to start the car? Something you can try (with the car in neutral and parking brake set for safety ) is turn and hold the key first and then push in on the clutch to start it. Of course, if it starts, let off the key and or clutch so you don't grind the starter. If you have a volt/ohm meter, I think you can test the switch. Unplug the clutch start switch connector (the one with only 2 wires closest to the firewall) and check the ohms/continuity of the switch while you have the pedal pressed in (parking brake on so you don't run yourself over) I think It should show continuity with the pedal pressed and no continuity with pedal not pressed (I've never tried it)

My car currently has trouble starting as well and the clutch switch and ignition switch is completely bypassed. I think it might be a bad contact in the starter solenoid because I can hear the starter click every time but it doesn't always turn. I just keep trying over and over and it works after a couple tries. I bypassed the ignition switch and the clutch pedal after my ignition switch contacts got fused together and it was trying to start my car constantly when the clutch was pushed in. It all started shortly after I drove through a flooded intersection :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.