FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK yesterday i was driving normally and 5 or 10 mins after beggiining driving my car, theres was flash ( like a kodak) in front of me ( seems to be my headlights or/and my fogs). all were OK. and when I came back to my house at 1 am, my dash lost some brightness, it makes that 2-3 mins and after its ok for 10 mins and the brightness going down again..
but its like when you touch the scroll bouton for the lights in the pannel but its on the maximum position...

I dont know what can cause that.. I will try to get pics next time I drive in the dark

*sorry for my english

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
That's happened to my car before. Just driving along at night and my dash lights dim...then go back to normal...goes back and forth for awhile. Never really worried about it though, I think it eventually just fixed itself.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I though that maybe snow and water on electrik wires
the snowstorm let 20 cm on the ground in one night

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
It's happened to me during the summer lots of times too....so I don't think mine was related to snow/water

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Alternator belt? My lights would dim when i wasn't on the gas, sometimes really bad. I change out the belt and it was fine. Sometimes the belt would start squealing and the lights would dim, car would stumble.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEAAAAh

this morning, my RPM goes down to 0 even if my car running... so my alternator died ( My dash lights went up and down since 2 days and I heard a tic tic from the alternator yesterday and I said that my alt. will die soon, 12h hours later it dies! )
et voila

Im gonna change it by myself but how do u tight the alternator strap? u pull it and when u can put the screws its okay?
thx

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
alternator on the 1.9 is easy to change. you can take it off and take it into autozone and have it tested.

also have your battery charged and load tested, since your alt died it may have wiped out your battery. the reverse is also true sometimes.

if it is the alternator and the battery is cool but just needs a charge, charge the batt and replace the alternator.

by alt strap i think you mean the serpantine drive belt. its on an automatic spring loaded tensioner, you pull the tensioner back adn it releases the belt, then you can slip it off the alternator pully.

·
Registered
768 Posts
In Case you're Canadian JohnnyBee here are some US/Canadian Translations:

Autozone = Canadian Tire
Napa = Canadian Tire
Advance Auto Parts = Canadian Tire
Tire Rack = Canadian Tire
Discount Tire = Canadian Tire
Best Buy = Future Shop
Circuit City = Future Shop
Krispy Cream = Tim Hortons
Dunkin Donuts = Tim Hortons

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Corrections to that list... we now have Best Buys and Krispy Creams! LOL! There's also NAPA depending on where you live for the car stuff! I try and stay away from Canadian Tire as much as possible! As for tires, I find small town places to be a bit more pricey, but more flexible, and easier to deal with if something goes wrong. Just my opinion though!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can. tire sux.. My friend has a garage, I can have an alternator for 165$ cash no tax and NAPA is 240$ with taxes

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont think that u moved out from canada cuz the carparts are expensive... if yes, get a life man! :)

I changed the alternator...
I get a testlight and my alternator didnt produce engouh power... I changed it but now the new alternator makes a freaking noise... I will check that tomorrow and maybe I'll ship tha shit on the warranty to get a new one...

·
Registered
768 Posts
No, I didn't move just because of the car part prices. I moved because this is a great country. I really wish we had some Tim Horton's in this area thou, I don't really like Starbucks's coffee.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
JohnnyBee said:
I dont think that u moved out from canada cuz the carparts are expensive... if yes, get a life man! :)

I changed the alternator...
I get a testlight and my alternator didnt produce engouh power... I changed it but now the new alternator makes a freaking noise... I will check that tomorrow and maybe I'll ship tha **** on the warranty to get a new one...
Also try changing the serpentine belt w/it. Its only like $15. Make sure you get the right belt depending on whether you have AC/Powersteering. The belt is an easy fix. You only need a crowbar/large adj. wrench/similar tool. That was my problem. My alt. was fine, but my belt wasn't grabbing. It would slip and i would lose power. Especially in the cold or when it rained. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how much I can sell my car
tryign to get a ford probe GT
my serpentine is #1, I changed it when when I did my timing belt

all is new on my car!, brakes (1 year) , alternator, rear suspension, clutch, timing belt, driver side axle shaft, DS bearing , DS tie rods..

antirust

i think 3500 CAN, what u think?my motor head is polished

·
Registered
235 Posts
Bigracefan said:
No, I didn't move just because of the car part prices. I moved because this is a great country. I really wish we had some Tim Horton's in this area thou, I don't really like Starbucks's coffee.
I hate this country, im moving to Canada asap, despite the car part prices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts