FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! First post on the board. Happy to find this forum, looks like theres a ton of info here I can dig up.

Got a 1982 coupe with the 1.6l carbed engine, raced it in 24 hours of lemons and needing a little more power on the straights.

Looking for a complete 1.9L EFI HO engine + wiring harness that I can swap in, or a complete car that I can yank the engine and wiring from. I'm interested in swapping a complete EFI setup into the 82, but if I can't find a harness + computer i'll prob put a carburetor on the HO engine.

open to all advice, ideas, input on the subject. Shipping to Lynn, MA or happy to make plans to come pickup anything for sale.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
If your racing the car Id swap the bottom end and keep the 1.6l head and carb intake and slap a webber 38/38 on it.This would let you keep the vacuum advance disy and make putting something like a msd box on it far less work. The bottom end swap adds about 20-30HP or so I'm told. The head is not worth the swap unless if you have a roller cam head or at the very lest a HO cam.

But I do have a spare HO id be willing to part with.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wait, 20-30 hp on a 85-ish hp engine, that can't be accurate...
Your going from 1.6l to 1.9l and the compression also shoots up from around 8:1 to 9:1.
The 82 cabbed car is about 70HP, the 1.9l is 90hp as a cfi and 110hp as an HO. So 20-30hp is within the ball park of a bottom end swap. Drop a webber and cam and you have a rather nice motor. The 1.6l head can use UK cams so the top end options are rather limitless unlike the 1.9l head. You also get the added benefit of making the motor non interference with stock cams when useing a 1.9l block.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So I'm assuming the 1.9 is just a stroked 1.6? I have never looked into it. And as far as I know the published hp ratings were 86hp for 2bbl. 1.9l. 88hp for EFI 1.9 101hp for 1.9 HO EFI.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So I'm assuming the 1.9 is just a stroked 1.6? I have never looked into it. And as far as I know the published hp ratings were 86hp for 2bbl. 1.9l. 88hp for EFI 1.9 101hp for 1.9 HO EFI.
I believe the 1.9l is stroked and bored. The deck is higher too and the block is a little stronger as it has some extra webbing cast into it. The oil return line for a turbo is also cast shut on 1.9l blocks. Although I seen reports of a few early 1.9l that have a plug in the oil return.

The cfi is 90HP in the latter years that have a roller cam, mid 80s for the older flat lifters. 1.6l carbed is 70ish HP and the 1.9l carb has low CR pistons and a crappy holly feedback carb and a lot of other things that choke it down.
1.9l HO is 110HP with a roller cam and 108hp with a flat cam.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
To muddy the waters a bit further, I believe the 2.0 SPI crank is interchangeable with the 1.9, but has eight counterweights vs. only four on the 1.9. So it makes for a smoother running engine but is slightly heavier.
Heck, you could swap in the whole 2.0 lower end with some work.

Reference:

Edit:
The Engine Builder lead in is incorrect, 1.9 and 2.0 share an 88mm (3.46 in) stroke.

·
Registered
228 Posts
To muddy the waters a bit further, I believe the 2.0 SPI crank is interchangeable with the 1.9, but has eight counterweights vs. only four on the 1.9. So it makes for a smoother running engine but is slightly heavier.
Heck, you could swap in the whole 2.0 lower end with some work.

Reference:

Edit:
The Engine Builder lead in is incorrect, 1.9 and 2.0 share an 88mm (3.46 in) stroke.
I recall reading that the 2l parts can be swapped over to a 1.9l. The block are rather similar and I been pondering a bosted HO 2l build. Although technically I have have my 1.9l board over to 2l

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yep, when these rare NOS parts show up, a wise man buys them up.
After all, these cars are our hobby, right?

Unfortunately it's difficult for me since I'm in Canada so shipping becomes problematic. Before the days of plague I would visit friends in the US a couple times a year, so have parts shipped thither.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yep, when these rare NOS parts show up, a wise man buys them up.
After all, these cars are our hobby, right?

Unfortunately it's difficult for me since I'm in Canada so shipping becomes problematic. Before the days of plague I would visit friends in the US a couple times a year, so have parts shipped thither.
PS I got mine from a Junkyard in Minnesota. If you call one and they don't have it just ask if they know anyone that might

1 - 13 of 13 Posts