FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to school today, coming in the left turn lane and this girl pulled out in front of me in a Sunfire from behind a truck, couldn't see her and nailed her doing 40 mph.

Nobody got hurt, but the front end of my car is pretty much ruined. The headlights are busted, the bumper has a huge dent in it, (so both the cover and the bumper itself are probably shot) the hood is bent, and the right front fender has some scratches on it. The main problem is that the plastic brackets that hold all that stuff on are shattered for the most part. I'll get a digicam and take some pics to post soon. :(

It wobbles when you go past 70 in it on the highway now, too.

Anyways, I was wondering how much you guys think a new hood, bumper, headlights, and right fender will cost on a third gen if I buy them new? I'm thinking at least a grand and a half if I have a pro do it. Oh, the radiator has a small dent in it too from what I can see, but it wasn't overheating on the way home. I don't know who's paying for it yet so I haven't had an estimate, but I figured some of you might know. Is it even worth it to replace that stuff?

Just in case my sig doesn't make it obvious, it's a 97 LX Sport with about 103.5k miles on it. :?

·
Registered
316 Posts
see if you can get a front clip from a salavage yard and swap everything, and the radiator might be good because the air condenser ( radiator for the air) sits in front of the motors radiator. Most important thing to look @ is the frame rails (what the bumper reinforcment bolts to) and if they are bent.. If they are bent it just makes it harder to fix @ home.

Grav1ty

Glad noone was hurt

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
if her insurance is covering the tab, i wouldnt car where my car gor fixed. or if it were deemed 50/50.
buying oem parts from a dealer is suicide. you might as well give them half the money you were going to spend on parts, go out back to have all the mechanics & salesmen line up and kick your manhood in. and while you're leaning over puking out blood, some little 11 year old takes the rest of your money. then you have to go home and explain to your wife/mom/girlfriend/whoever why you came home with blood all over the shirt they bought you for hannukkah and why you're minus the grand and a half you had in your pocket earlier.
it's a mess. go junkyard, or www.discount-auto-parts-store.com

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
DeathSlinger00 said:
if her insurance is covering the tab, i wouldnt car where my car gor fixed. or if it were deemed 50/50.
buying oem parts from a dealer is suicide. you might as well give them half the money you were going to spend on parts, go out back to have all the mechanics & salesmen line up and kick your manhood in. and while you're leaning over puking out blood, some little 11 year old takes the rest of your money. then you have to go home and explain to your wife/mom/girlfriend/whoever why you came home with blood all over the shirt they bought you for hannukkah and why you're minus the grand and a half you had in your pocket earlier.
it's a mess. go junkyard, or www.discount-auto-parts-store.com
LOL...hmmm...sounds like someone is speaking from a painful personal experience? haha

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
yeah sorta. my dad used to work at a car dealership as a car salesman. and i've bought stuff from dealer garages before.

$8 for a vat of touch-up paint!!!! WTF?!?! just for some Dark Tourlamine Green Pearl touch-up paint! it's not like im asking for some channelle perfume imported from a frenchman's sweat.

and a few other things i can't remember off the top of my head. a licence plate bracket for $14.95. that was somewhat reasonable.

$79 for a friggin' estimate! $79 to reasure me what i already knew what was wrong with my car was wrong with it!

but things were still hella expensive (even with the "Al Langer discount").

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Just finda junkyard that has all the parts you need in the right color (OK you might have to get parts from several junkyards). Go to the kind where you pull it yourself. If you can remove the part from the donor car, you probably have all the skill that you will need to install it on your car.

I've done this 3 times already. Sometime I have to go to the junkyard once a month for 3 months to find the right color, but it's worth it (that and my car was drivable every single time).

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's easier if you have a second or first gen. There aren't that many third gens in junk yards in St. Louis, and even less in the right color. Heh. We took it to the dealer our insurance company uses for estimates and stuff, Dodge place, and they said 1,500 if it's not damaged mechanically. I've been looking for bumpers and hoods for two years and haven't found any of the right color. Had a minor fender bender when a Jeep Cherokee backed into my dad a while back and haven't fixed it yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts