FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 98 ZX2 a few months ago and wanted to get an idea of what would need to be fixed on it.

I've gotten my car inspected by a both an independent mechanic and the Ford dealer. Both have a long list of items that they want to replace on my car. The independent mechanic estimates total cost of repair to be around $1200. The Ford dealer estimates close to $3000. Some parts overlap on the two estimates and some do not. The parts/services are listed below:

Variable Speed Sensor
Replace/Flush Trans Fluid
Flush Power Steering Fluid
Replace Clutch
Repair Shifter (dealer says it's loose and doesn't feel right)
Timing Belt, Pulleys, Tensioner, Serpentine Belt
Front Struts
Full Tune Up (Still has factory spark plugs in them)
Accumulator
Muffler
Flush Radiator (Even though this was done last week)
Rear Stabilizer Links
(And more that I can't remember off the top of my head)

The dealer guessed that I need a new timing belt since the car has 168000 miles and it has the original spark plugs in them. They didn't look at it. They also said the clutch will need to be replaced but didn't put a price on it. I estimate around $600.

Now my question would be, would it be worth it to repair everything on my car or would it be better to just get a different car? I originally paid $1200 for the car, so dropping 3k into it doesn't seem reasonable.

Also, is there anything that can be done easily with me, a friend, and a Haynes manual? I am very handy with tools, but have never worked on any of these things on a car (other than spark plugs).

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Most of that stuff is easy. Shifter just needs the bushings replaced.. tune up, end links, fluid flushes, speed sensor all pretty easy to do. I wouldn't worry about the clutch unless it is in rough shape. Same with the timing belt. It is a non-interference engine, so you don't have to worry about damage if it snaps.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Compupaq said:
The parts/services are listed below:

Variable Speed Sensor
Replace/Flush Trans Fluid
Flush Power Steering Fluid
Replace Clutch
Repair Shifter (dealer says it's loose and doesn't feel right)
Timing Belt, Pulleys, Tensioner, Serpentine Belt
Front Struts
Full Tune Up (Still has factory spark plugs in them)
Accumulator
Muffler
Flush Radiator (Even though this was done last week)
Rear Stabilizer Links
(And more that I can't remember off the top of my head)
Like Dave said don't worry about the clutch or timing belt. The clutch is the hardest to do and I had mine replaced for about $600 two years ago since they did it in a day. Unless your speedo isn't reading properly or it is causing a code don't worry about the vss. If the A/C works fine don't mess with the accumulator. Every thing else is easy could all be done in a days time in your driveway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I know I'll need the vss and accumulator some time in the future. The speedometer goes haywire occasionally while driving, and the accum. leaks, which could be the reason why the a/c doesn't work.

I'll try to do as much as possible myself to save as much money as possible. What all would be included in a typical tuneup (change plugs, wires, etc.)?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Plugs and wires are about all there is to a tune up on the newer cars, maybe a new fuel and air filter. You can look at the air filter and determine whether you need a new one or not and if the car is running OK you probably don't need a new fuel filter.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
This should give you an idea of what most people can do in there driveway. I have done all of them except the VSS. Skip the Power Steering flush. Remove the upper timing belt cover and inspect the belt. I bet it was changed at least once before and the zx2 is designed to go 120K on a belt. If it drives and shifts fine then leave the clutch alone.
Variable Speed Sensor = $60
Replace Trans Fluid = $15
Repair Shifter = $6
Spark plugs = <$20
Muffler = $100
Rear Stabilizer Links = $15

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I got the timing belt and the muffler replaced. I replaced the spark plugs and wires. The air filter should be fine (I can see light through it). Let me tell you, it runs a lot nicer now with spark plugs with the proper gap. The old ones were burnt up to about .5mm larger gap than it was supposed to be.

I'll work on getting the other stuff fixed. Thanks for your help/advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts