FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 wagon, engine is a 1.9, first started out would have trouble starting and running intermittently, last wed would not start, it would crank, it would want to start, it tries to fire, but wont, I checked for fuel pressure, just trickle from valve, changed fuel pump, filter is ok, now there is pressure at valve, I also changed timing belt and water pump, all vacuum hoses ok, did shake test on connectors, no change, and after all the repairs it does the same exact thing as before the repairs, I also checked the plugs when it died and they were fuel black, not oil fouled, cleaned and regapped plugs. I also noticed an occasional minor backfire when cranking, also when it sits a while it will start but will run but real rough and stall, and wont start after that.

Checked spark-ok, checked injectors with noid-ok, checked-no codes.

Also when I try to hand turn the crank to align the timing marks it locks up and I cant turn it by hand anymore, but it will still crank using the starter.

I can do V8's in my sleep but I am a noob at these 4 cyls.

· Super Moderator
10,547 Posts
You did a lot of work! You say it locks up when you try to turn it by hand. Are you actually using your hand, or using a 19mm wrench turning the bolt on the end of the crankshaft? With the 4 cylinders, if your rings are any good, the force needed to push a piston up against the compression amounts to probably 100 lbs-ft of torque. But if you wait ten or 15 seconds, you should be able to turn it some more to raise a piston toward t.d.c - at which point it becomes real easy to turn of course.
I always jack the car up, take off the passenger side wheel, and either remove the splash guard, or put a 1/4" drive extension in through the access hole, into the 19mm socket, to turn the bolt on the end of the crankshaft. (I dont guarantee its 19mm on your car, but it is on my 91 LX).

You might want to pull off the large rubber air inlet duct, and spray starting fluid into the throttle opening, while someone cranks the engine over on the starter.

Once you get it running, even for a short length of time, take out the dipstick and see if the oil is still free of water contamination, or tiny bits of metal. Check that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is still firmly connected, ie. that the connector isnt halfway off or that the CPS itself isnt loose on its bracket. (The darn things are in such a non-convenient location!)

And if nothing else works, it might be time to do a compression check.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turned the crank with a socket and 1\2 ratchet, it is not a compression lock, it seems to be more of a mechanical one, it also feels a little strange when I turn the crank, I tried to spray some berkible cleaner in the intake and still has hard time starting, oil clean, no water or metal, I will check cps and compression.

· Premium Member
8,227 Posts
When your starting the car with the starter, you have your foot on the clutch. When your turning it by hand, your foot is not on the clutch, and it still might be in gear.

Did you have this problem before and after the timing belt change?

· Registered
925 Posts
zzyzzx said:
Are you sure that you have everything aligned properly when you replced the timing belt?
This is my thought. If not using the book to tell you that it "could be 180 degrees off", there is a chance that you used the wrong timing mark on the crank pulley...

· Registered
816 Posts
You need a compression test... plain and simple.

As for this 'mechanical' lock while rotating, remove the spark plugs and then try to rotate the crank (thus eliminating the compression factor). If you still feel it, it could be a dropped valve seat, or even bearing issues.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
Its a good thing it didn't start then. that will really mess up the piston and head but since you caught it early you might not have to replace the piston.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.