FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1995 lx) Here is the deal: The fuel gauge, depending on basically the car's inclination, slowly swings left and right about 1/4 off the actual fuel level. So, during city driving, every glance I have at the cluster, the needle is somewhere else. After the car sits down for 10 min or so in a horisontal position, the gauge indicates the "actual" (within a fuel's gauge (precision...) level though. Had the sending unit checked, all OK

As I figure its normal for the gas in the tank to bounce around, I have an impression that the gauge itsels contain some kind of averaging circuit, so as to eliminate these local level swings...

Anyone experienced/diagnosed/fixed that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine does it also. It sounds like the wires are frayed and causing faulty signals such as they level changes on inclines. You won't know until you drop the tank and look at the wiring on the fuel pump.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Use your trip meter as your basis for knowing how much fuel is in your tank, if you don't trust the gauge.

The gas tank is baffled and the signalled is average to dampen signal variability.

You could try replacing the fuel gauge if you're getting suicidal about it. I have a spare one.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I'm not exactly sure how the averaging is done.

If you want my spare gauge (can't verify how well it works, since I got it at a junkyard), send me your address via PM and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I would say (although I think that Marclar just stated it.... but I'm overly tired) that the incline will change it, because depending on how your car is positioned, the gas will go to a different part of the tank. I notice that the lower my tank, the more it moves around. I find that the trip is the best bet.... average it a few times, drive, write down how far you went, then fill up, and see how much gas you put in. Mine was accurate by about 10km each time (so by about 1 L of fuel from what I get from the tank).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, got the entire floater/sender checked. The thing is you can't beat hydraulics, and with an inclined car, or even during acceleration/decelarion , the fuel just keeps waving around. Thus, the resistance seen by the fuel level sender behaves in the same way.

From what I've found trough some googling, all cars use an averaging system so as the needle doesnt behave like a fuel wavemeter. Whereas its a digital averaging system, or an electrical lowpass filter, I dont know.. but whatever it is, it's fried in my car :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts