FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As all of you noticed it is winter.
Here is stuff that my egt does during winter time...

- My seat belts open and close in slow-motion
- When the car is cold it makes a turbo sound (maybe because the filter is ice cold?)
- It's very very long before the car gets warm
- My window dont open or close smoodly
- My transmission isn't as smood
- My god damn cd player won't play my mp3 cds until the cd player is warm.
- My rear defroster works for about 20% of the window
- Sucky gas mileage
- Hand brake defective (thank you god for taking the only good tool to make fun of winter)

But even if i complain so much my car ALWAYS start even when it's extremely cold without having to plug it in.

feel free to complain with me... Am I the only one with those problems?

·
Registered
750 Posts
it hasnt been bad yet here in chicago, but my seatbelts suck, i cant bump my radio until about an hour after my cars been on...:( and trans sux royally in the winter time, hmmm my glasspack is even louder when its cold...gas milege sucks, one reardefrosterline is shot...thats about it.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Well......

- My seat belts open and close in slow-motion - Grease on motorized seat belt track is cold, acts like molasses = slow

- When the car is cold it makes a turbo sound (maybe because the filter is ice cold?) - ???????

- It's very very long before the car gets warm
- Need new thermostat.

- My window dont open or close smoodly - See seatbelt issue

- My transmission isn't as smooth - It's smooth when it warms up right?

- My god damn cd player won't play my mp3 cds until the cd player is warm. - Mine too, but any CD. It's hit and miss, but it gets worse the colder it gets. I've got a Sony. You??

- My rear defroster works for about 20% of the window - Those defroster elements on the glass have got cuts or breaks in them. Go to Canadian Tire and get the Loctite repair kit for this. It's a hit and miss repair, but you can usually get a few more of them working. I just don't use my defroster, don't really need to see out the back anyways.

- Sucky gas mileage - usually has to do with the amount of time it takes the car to warm up. If you make short trips, it's even worse. Maybe related to....
|
\/

- Hand brake defective (thank you god for taking the only good tool to make fun of winter) - most likely frozen or rusted from salt half on.

But even if i complain so much my car ALWAYS start even when it's extremely cold without having to plug it in.

Only once in 9 years did it let me down. It'll start without a block heater at -15 decC no prop, although I try to plug it in bleow -10 to save on engine wear :wink:

Matt 8)

·
Registered
802 Posts
im in the worst climate ever.. VERY cold winters, VERY hot summers. I get the mind set that .. its warm enough i dont need a jacket when my nipples double over as glass cutters.

I agree with the seatbelt one

the LCD display messes together in slow mo

my headlights dont work properly *need new turnsignal controller*

have to get out and scrape my windows..

bald rear tires :D! 1/2 workin ebrake *only driver locks up*

uhm.. i think of more later.. as i drive.. lol!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yeah.. my MP3 player won't read either when it's cold in the morning. I've narrowed it down to condensation on the disc. I can eject it, wipe it, and it'll play. Try to keep the interior of your car dry by using the A/C when defrosting. The A/C will dry out the air and keep condensation down. Also, try to keep as much snow as possible out of the car when you get in.

The LCD display was blurry on mine this morning.. first time I'd noticed it.

Blaupunkt San Jose, btw.

I need a new thermostat too.. mine is barely warming up.. and I know it's killing the gas mileage.

The wistling sound you're probably hearing from the intake is most likely due to the nature of the airflow being altered due to the cold start system.

You may be able to find some synthetic grease that has a wider temperature range that can be used on the seatbelt or window tracks.. I really don't know though. You'd have to clean off all of the grease that's already there first. *shrug*

Your tranny is a manual, right? Replace the fluid in it with a synthetic oil with better range (unless it calls for ATF..). This sure helped my BMW years ago.. used to grind into 2nd whenever it was cold until I got some of the gear oil in the purple bottle..

Saskatchewan is a prairie province, right? Cause otherwise you'd know about ski's and snowboards which make winter even more fun than handbrakes! :p

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Man!!! if you live in saska you gotta buy a Ski-doo ahahhaa but oh..pay attention to the barbwires in the fields :) and well..maybe you cant practice downhill skiing...but you can do some trail skiing :) ok i know its more boring..but hey!! :) I though it would be Dry and hot in the winter time because of the Chinook...i guess it's dry and cold then ahaha poor you man..

and hummm yeah my tranny acts strangely too when it's cold outside..especially on 2nd gear ...i'll try to replace the oil for synthetic to see if it gets any better...and i'll replace my engine oil with synthetic too...

Try to grease your e-brake..might be frozen as fixitman said earlier..

And for the cd players....can't do anything for electonic...unless you park your car in some kind of an heated garage :) ...and yeah i know WINTER SUCKS FOR CAR Enthusiasts :p...wish i lived in california man

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My cd player is a rockford fosgate...

My gas mileage is about 300-360 in winter and 420-550 in summer depending on how I give it to her...

When i say my car take a long time to get warm I wanted to say that the heater takes a long time before it blows hot air.

Nice to see im not the only one with those problems.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Sounds like no matter what brand of unit you own they all act up when its cold. Awww :?

If it's taking a long time to blow hot air, I would think for sure you're looking at a new T-stat FourDiceS04.

Mine will blow hot air like mad in about 5 min, but my instrument guage shows the thing as always cold, or it does funny stuff like instantaneously drop down from operating temp (when it gets there) to C, then back up to operating temp within a couple seconds. It's gotta be a bad connection or a bad sensor since I put a new T-stat in back in the fall, and it still puts out mad head when it drops to C or even stays there :wink:

Matt 8)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
fixitmattman said:
but my instrument guage shows the thing as always cold, or it does funny stuff like instantaneously drop down from operating temp (when it gets there) to C, then back up to operating temp within a couple seconds. It's gotta be a bad connection or a bad sensor since I put a new T-stat in back in the fall, and it still puts out mad head when it drops to C or even stays there :wink:

Matt 8)
I would suspect the gauge ground in the dash.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hmmm Cold weather seems to be the bane of any FORD product...

On my '94 EGT the door windows slow down the colder it gets. If it is really cold, then it may take 2 minutes to get the windows up. Then there is the driver's door window, the colder it gets the more it bangs as it goes up, then after it is up it continues to bang... :(

Then there is the "Chirping" that I get from the vent fan... :? very annoying... That is of course if the fan actually works.. Sometimes when I put the fan to the 3rd speed when Defrosting, the blower cuts out all together.

Other than that, the car starts first thing on cold mornings without fail and drives fine even if the gearbox is cold.. If it is REALLY cold, then I double shift for the first little while...

MrVermin

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then there is the "Chirping" that I get from the vent fan... very annoying... That is of course if the fan actually works.. Sometimes when I put the fan to the 3rd speed when Defrosting, the blower cuts out all together.
I had the same problem with my egt and it was a electrical sound caused by bad connector. Check near your fan under your glove box farther back where you put your feet and you will see a conector with 4 wires (maybe 5). One wire for each fan speed. I went to the junkyard and took one off a mazda proteger (5$ cdn) and they were the same (not the same color wires tho, but the same size, again one size for each speed). This fixed my problem and now the fan works on all 4 speeds. The bad connector made of plastic had melted and caused my 4th speed to not work. Check it out im sure you have the same thing.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Beaverboy said:
I would suspect the gauge ground in the dash.
I'll look at that too if I get a chance, but I think it's just a bad connection. It seems better now that I wiggled around with the connector on the sensor (the extent of repairs I can perform with what little time I have :roll: )

Thanks,

Matt 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts