FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my blower motor went dead, and I knew I had leaves up in there because it would shoot leave chunks in my face from time to time. So I decided to pull the cowling to vacuum under there. As I was pulling the plastic clips I accidentally levered my screwdriver against the windshield and made a nice crack. It spread about a foot long in a wide L shape before I stopped it with acrylic nail polish.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had luck with any of these 'miracle' crack remover/filler products that supposedly fix windshield cracks. The crack doesn't bother me any, but I know I'm going to fail state inspection for it. Luckily that's not up until next year, but I'd still like to fix it if I can. I'm hoping I can fix it because it would be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole windshield.

And no I don't carry full coverage/comprehensive on my scort, so insurance won't cover it.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
yup you will be replacing that windshield no matter what.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,065 Posts
According to the MA inspection paperwork the crack can't extent more than 3" into the critical viewing area of the windshield so you may be able to pass with it. That crack is to big to repair. If you want it gone you need a new windshield.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere anything over 2" is grounds for failure, regardless of where it is. The state RMV website just says 'windshield check' under inspection, but doesn't say anything else.

I'll probably just replace the it by next year anyway (for the ugliness factor, if not anything else). Hopefully the acrylic buys me some time, I had it out on the freeway the other day and it seems to have stopped it from spreading for now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,065 Posts

·
Registered
15,566 Posts
Excatly what are you getting for $135?

Windshields aren't windshields. Carlite ones are better then crap aftermarket ones that will break within the first month.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,065 Posts
zzyzzx said:

Windshields aren't windshields. Carlite ones are better then crap aftermarket ones that will break within the first month.
Stop being overly critical of what everyone chooses to use for replacement parts on their cars, you just end up sounding like a opinionated jerk.

A windshield replacement is a windshield replacement to 99% of people in the world and I highly doubt any windshield will break in the first month if it was installed correctly in the first place. If mine did break like that I would take it right back to the place that installed it and make them fix it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zzyzzx said:

I could care less if it breaks by itself, as a.) its warrantied and b.) I just picked up comprehensive on my car with $0 glass deductible.

FWIW, I know someone who got a windshield from this place that lasted the remaining life of the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.