FEOA Forums banner

while I'm doing the clutch ...

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TwinLTSs 
#1 ·
I'm starting to think I should stiffen some motor mounts with upgrades at zxtuner ... what's the difference between the default on http://www.zx2racing.com/store/closeup. ... 0&offset=0 and the 4pc item? is it two pcs per mount? one insert from either side? is the "lower engine mount" in their terminology either side mount?

also, I notice something that looks like maybe the oil pan gasket leaking, on the pulley side? anything I should be checking while I've got the oil pan dropped to replace the gasket?

#3 ·
as a side not to this, I heard that Chrysler had a hard time keeping CV's in their cars when they first came out with front drive. They traced the problem to weak motor mounts. Our cars wear out CV's like mad, and have a weak mounting system too... mabye the same problems? :?

#4 ·
the motor mounts are great especially if yours ar3e worn out, in a way, the car is louder, and you feel the solid ness of the mounts more, they seem to soften up or you get used to them after time, but it keeps the motor from rocking around, like mine were gone the center peice fell out of mine, i like them the give the car a little more response it feels like. but tighten up one thing and onther will go. while you are dooing the clutch , since you will be taking the flywheel off, check therear main seal, if its leaking any oil replace it, it should pop out and a new one to pop in, maybee the oil pan gasket to, clena up the area, if you go that far, then maybee the front mail seal, dont have to pull the crnak out for these, might help while down there. checxk your seals for the cv to the tranny, maybee replace them since the tranny is out, save time from replacing them and pulling axles later, and check the cvs i know out here i get stock axles for like 40 bucks, its better than paying 30 just for boots, we just replace the whole thing. its easier and less time consuming.

just my thoughts what i will do when i do my clutch!

#5 ·
yeah rear main had been a thought ... I think the seals on the CV shafts were done when the CVs were done relatively recently. oil pan gasket is definitely getting replaced, it's blowing like mad on the pulley side ... given that I'm dropping the pan, will I have access to check the bottom end, bearings, journals, wear, etc. like I could in my old DSM 4 banger?

#6 ·
Yeah, you'll have some access there because in order to do anything you have to take the crossmember out, and then from there it's easy to pry the pan off. As long as you have the whole thing apart you could do your front brakes, I took my suspension apart when I did mine and replaced the struts/springs, did my brakes, painted the tranny, put in new CV's....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.