FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the part # of the MSD DIS ignition box that work with the 91-96 1.9L's? i need to get my hands on one considering that its the only way to advance/retard the timing on this damn car

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
It's the DIS-2. There's a few different models of the DIS-2 (62112 standard, 62113 HO model, and 6212 programmable) but as far as I know they just have different options and they should all work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay now has anyone here actually installed one of these mofo's on there car yet?? i know that you splice into your 3 coil wires but from the looks of the online PDF that i am downloading there is a lot more to it than that

·
Registered
511 Posts
Anyone know where to get them cheap? I see them going for 250-320 new on ebay, about 150-200 used, and about 330-380 retail. Plus you've got to buy a tach adapter box for the 97 PN#8912 (these run 40-70)

I really need to find a cheap way (right now 400 bones isn't an option) to retard my timing after about 2800 rpm or about 3psi boost....

·
Registered
520 Posts
tokstad said:
Anyone know where to get them cheap? I see them going for 250-320 new on ebay, about 150-200 used, and about 330-380 retail. Plus you've got to buy a tach adapter box for the 97 PN#8912 (these run 40-70)

I really need to find a cheap way (right now 400 bones isn't an option) to retard my timing after about 2800 rpm or about 3psi boost....
Slot the holes the crank sensor mounts through and just adjust it that way. It would work just like retarding a distributor.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
yeah I used to have an MSD DIS-2 on my car back when I still had the 1.9l... installed it myself following the pdf from their website...

from what I remember (I installed it like 3 years ago, and took it off 2 years ago... it's long gone now!!), it's no more complicated than what you just explained... you cut the wires going to your coil... they go in the MSD by splicing thru whatever wires are mentioned on the pdf and out through others mentioned on the pdf... aside from that, there's just the question of powering up the unit with a good power source and a good ground... I don't remember there being anything else involved at all...

I had a HO one... :D

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
^ i put one in a friends 95lx that i strapped some old EXP turbo parts on.

thats about it too, cut wires for coil, splice into input of MSD box, MSD outputs go back to coil. supply power and ground.

tokstad, you have a 97lx with an SPI? what are doing for fuel managment.. you should be able to run more than 4psi with the stock ECM before running into timing problems.

you should be able to hit 7-8psi as long as you have fuel and an intercooler.

·
Registered
520 Posts
tokstad said:
Then I would be running with the timing retarded when unboosted. This would reduce low end power and efficiency.
You said you wanted cheap......cheap isnt always perfect :(

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have 24# injectors with an AFPR set to about 19psi at idle, an A-FMU set at about 10:1.

I am also running a probe intercooler and a VJ-11 turbo. On oregon pump grade 91octane I can only run 4-5psi before it starts pinging.

I suspect it has to to with the 91 octane gas and third gen timing.

If you're getting the 7-8 number from Jeff then that is because he's running 93 octane gas and a second gen ECU. I have a feeling that timing might be a little tighter on the 97?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah the more advanced third gen timing is not helping you any - the 91 octane gas sucks too. With my set-up I have been able to get to 6-7psi before I hear the evil sounds of deto. If I am in 5th and am gentle I can get to 8-9psi w/o deto but under any hard acceleration it happens much faster, in fact I can't even run it up to the wastegate. My gas petal is my wastegate until I get some timing control. :lol:

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
mikeflys1 said:
Slot the holes the crank sensor mounts through and just adjust it that way. It would work just like retarding a distributor.
Don't know if that works or not. I believe the DIS module takes its paramaters from both the crank trigger and the cam sensor.

Have you tried this before?

Matt 8)

·
Registered
520 Posts
The cam sensor is only for sequential injection. The edis is only timed off the crank trigger. I havent tried it myself as i dont have a 1.9.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.