FEOA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in about march before i did any mods.......i was on my way home back to kentucky and decided to see how fast the scort could go. Well i got it up to 105 and it wouldn't go any faster. A month later i made the same trip and once again it did the same thing...105. Well after that i started doing things like getting new rims and putting aftermarket stuff on it, nothing too serious. Well one day my freind asked to borrow the scort because his camaro was missed up. Well i went to the shop where his camaro was and decided to see how it was going. Well we b.s there for a while and we both decided to leave. He got in the scort and i got in the firebird. We got on a 4 lane strait streach and we opend them up.......i started to pull away in the end but i was cruzin. We got back to the apartment and he asked how fast i was going. I told him i don't remember. He said it had to be over 115 cause that was what he was doing. Well i thought this to be b.s because i know it doesn't go over 105. Well laast week i made that same trip back home and to my suprise..........i was doing 110 so i decided to see what else it could do so i floored it...before i knew it i was at 120.....which brings me to the question....where did the speed limiter go?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
To the best of my knowledge scorts dont have governors. I know that if you hit a governor enough in most cars you can actually break them and accelerate more....but my GT has maxed out my gearing before (est. 130-140mph)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no wind was not a factor.......it just would not go any faster after 105.....it would downshift but would not go any faster. Since then i have a header on there.....high flow cat....cone intake....new tires and rims...new gauges....new plug wires and plugs and that's it. Nothing to major. It makes no sence....maybe when i took the gauge cluster off i might have done something. Who knows i suppose..........

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If I remember right to double your speed you require something like 4 times the power to overcome the wind. So a headwind would make a huge difference. headers, intake etc also free up the upper end of the RPM range so that would help. are the wheels/tires the same size/weight?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
YEah i'm with Tim, the weather really is affecting performance...And just riding at day/night is a very different experience for my car....whenever i get to ride when the temp is a little bit colder outside, especially at night, or when it's raining a little..my car usually feels A LOT better... seriously...my tranny seems to run smoother...maybe id need to oil her up a little..

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
wow, holy post revival. If you had enough power to over come brag, you'd be limited by Gearing, which would be limited by engine RPM, so the question would be wethere the engine was built to spin faster then the stock 6250 redline.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Josh_LX said:
wow, holy post revival. If you had enough power to over come brag, you'd be limited by Gearing, which would be limited by engine RPM, so the question would be wethere the engine was built to spin faster then the stock 6250 redline.
I never knew brag was a factor in speed. No wonder I can't go over 75MPH.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Could be you're still only doing 105, as well. When you put the different tires and rims on, if they weren't the proper size to keep the speedometer reading correctly, it may be reading 115 but you're really only doing 105. I had a set of tires put on my Neon once that were a little bigger than they should have been, and when it was reading 55, I was really doing 60...

While still on the topic, I took my ZX2 out for a governor test the other day and it quit on me at about 108 or so. My old Neon buddies were picking on me cuz Neons shut off at 118 (which, I knew from previous experience as well...)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tim said:
sometimes it seems like the car has more power and other days it dont.. id say weather would make a difference too
Weather condtions have a huge affect on power output. For every 1000 foot increase in density altitude (not the same as true altitude) an engine loses ~3% of its power. Any factor that decreases the dry density of the air will hurt performance. So, increase in ambient air temperature = less power, decrease in barometric pressure = less power, increase in true altitude = less power, increase in relative humidity = less power. Now, 3% loss of power for each 1000 feet may not seem that big until you consider that that is 3% from the power output measured from sea level, and the air loses density exponentially with altitude. In the middle of summer the effect is most dramatic, of course. Here in Tulsa the true altitude averages around 650 feet above sea level; on a scientific standard day (29.92 in/Hg, 59* F, 20% humidity) the density altitude is the same as true altitude, 650 feet. In August at 100deg.F and 85 % humidity the density altitude can reach 3500 feet. That means a power loss of more than 15%!!! And it doesn't matter what type engine it is; NA, boosted, or jet for that matter. If it breaths air, the power loss is 3%/1000 feet.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Weather condtions have a huge affect on power output. For every 1000 foot increase in density altitude (not the same as true altitude) an engine loses ~3% of its power. Any factor that decreases the dry density of the air will hurt performance. So, increase in ambient air temperature = less power, decrease in barometric pressure = less power, increase in true altitude = less power, increase in relative humidity = less power. Now, 3% loss of power for each 1000 feet may not seem that big until you consider that that is 3% from the power output measured from sea level, and the air loses density exponentially with altitude. In the middle of summer the effect is most dramatic, of course. Here in Tulsa the true altitude averages around 650 feet above sea level; on a scientific standard day (29.92 in/Hg, 59* F, 20% humidity) the density altitude is the same as true altitude, 650 feet. In August at 100deg.F and 85 % humidity the density altitude can reach 3500 feet. That means a power loss of more than 15%!!! And it doesn't matter what type engine it is; NA, boosted, or jet for that matter. If it breaths air, the power loss is 3%/1000 feet.
sucks for my father he will be racing there in the dead middle of summer this year

·
Registered
658 Posts
^^^Cool!!! Drags at Raceway Park or or road racing at Hallet? (Now THERE'S a road cousre that wiil make a real driver out of you; turn 9 is downhill, off-camber, decreasing radius and is officially known as "The B!tch"). Tell me what he's racing, post a pic if you can, and where and I'll look for him.

·
Registered
725 Posts
vintage road racing at hallet. he drives an old mg twin cam 1600 hybrid. i cant wait im takin a week off this summer to come down with him. nothing like waking up to the scream of an old european race car motor and the smell of burning race gas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.