FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the shop this morning where my car has been, and I found out what was wrong with my car. They said the ECU I know where that is, but they also said my Cylinder ID sensor was bad and my High speed inlet air control seloniod(sp) needed replaced. Does anyone know where the last two parts are located.

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
I think they might be referring to your Idle Speed Control which you may or may not need replaced. Usually a cleaning will do. Most mechanics don't clean stuff, just replace.

Don't know about the other part though.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Cylinder ID Sensor.

On the 1.9 engines, there is a funky looking gear like component attached to the rear of the crank pulley. It is cut to resemble 36 teeth, however it only has 35. Where this 36th tooth would be is a space. Attached to a braket, almost right near the oil filter is the sensor in question. I believe it is a variation of a proximity sensor. Anyways, this sensor uses the missing 36th tooth to identify TDC for the #1 cylinder in the engine, and sends this signal to the ECU, thus cylinder ID. This sensor has wires that are unbelievably friggin small. It's quite normal for these wires to break or go bad. Or the switch could also have crapped out.

Hope that helps. :D

Matt 8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes the crank position sensor on the 1.8 is part of the distributor. The only solenoid I can think of other than what was already mentioned is the 3 way solenoid that operates the vics, it's under the little vacuum canister at the end of the intake plenum. It comes into play over 5k rpm so they might be talking about that?

·
Registered
15,581 Posts
fixitmattman said:
Cylinder ID Sensor.

On the 1.9 engines, there is a funky looking gear like component attached to the rear of the crank pulley. It is cut to resemble 36 teeth, however it only has 35. Where this 36th tooth would be is a space. Attached to a braket, almost right near the oil filter is the sensor in question. I believe it is a variation of a proximity sensor. Anyways, this sensor uses the missing 36th tooth to identify TDC for the #1 cylinder in the engine, and sends this signal to the ECU, thus cylinder ID.
I'd call this the crankshaft position sensor....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.