FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes... I know I haven't been around a whole lot recently- I've been extremely busy with school and things are starting to slow down during finals time.

Anyway, my sis has a 91GT and I'm wondering how to know when I should change the brake pads. I think they're probably stock spec pads.

be easy-

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Hey, long time no see :D

He he, I know the feeling. If I didn't have a computer at my desk, I'd never get on the net 8O

Just keep going until you hear them squealing due to the warning indicators. Once those go, depending on how you drive and if you do a lot of stop and go driving, you got about a month left before you have to change the pads. Anything less than 1/16 of an inch (or about the width of a key) they should be replaced when you get the chance.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
fixitmattman said:
Hey, long time no see :D

He he, I know the feeling. If I didn't have a computer at my desk, I'd never get on the net 8O

Just keep going until you hear them squealing due to the warning indicators. Once those go, depending on how you drive and if you do a lot of stop and go driving, you got about a month left before you have to change the pads. Anything less than 1/16 of an inch (or about the width of a key) they should be replaced when you get the chance.

Matt 8)
:withstupid:

·
Registered
93 Posts
i just replaced my rear pads @ 192,000km. They still had some wear, but i replaced rotors and one caliper. I'm gonna do the fronts soon, because they're more worn. I think the fronts are pretty much done, but no squeelin yet!

·
Registered
319 Posts
my sensors in the front didn't start to squeal til my brakes were basically GONE.. time for me to change rear brakes, and they haven't even began to make noises, sooooo i wouldnt trust that too much.

Laci

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Rear drum brakes don't have 'idiot squeakers' on them, only the fronts or four wheel discs. Usually when the drums wear out they make nasty grinding noises so it's easy to tell when they're gone :wink:

Matt 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts