FEOA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very convenient for me to fill up any time I want as I pass by two gas stations everyday. Should I fill up when I'm bone dry empty, 1/4th tank, half, 3/4th tank? When is best to fill up? I heard it's easier on the pump when your tank is mostly full and you save gas that way too plus leave less room for water vapor to get in. However, aren't the gas savings offset by hauling around the extra weight of the gas all the time? Does running empty all the time kill the pump and cost more than savings you'd obtain in gas from not hauling around 200+ lbs of gas?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I hear running it to empty is bad on the pump as it can over heat, since the gasoline keeps it cool. But it's what I've always done since I've been driving. I know a lot people won't let it get past 1/4.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I usually try to fill up by the time the tank hits the half way mark. I've never understood why, but the '88 Pony will get better mileage that way. That's not just a guess from looking at the gauge, that's actually running the numbers. Keeping at least a quarter tank is a good idea, because it helps prevent premature pump failure due to heat and also insures you have gas in the car in case of a late night emergency and can't find an open station.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
anytime before empty is fine, as long as it isnt run dry the pump is cooled fine.

and you are hauling way less than 200lbs of fuel when full.

so in short, dont overthink these things so much :)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
A full tank, all 13 gallons of it (for a 91-96 GT anyway) is going to weigh anywhere between 75.5 pounds to 84.5 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
i run mine till the light comes on. mine gets better mileage the longer i go on a fillup.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
StealthStyle said:
anytime before empty is fine, as long as it isnt run dry the pump is cooled fine.

and you are hauling way less than 200lbs of fuel when full.

so in short, dont overthink these things so much :)
+1

i try to run it down to 3 gallons. which my gauge says about 1/8 tank. that way when i fill up, calculating mileage is very easy because you're filling up with almost exactly 10 gallons. plus you have enough gas left in case you don't have enough time to stop for gas.

i usually get about 28 mpg mixed so i try to fill up at 280 miles. it usually ends up being 10 gallons. move the decimal place over 1, that's 28 mpg.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i usually fill up when im at a 1/4 cause i dont trust my guage cause i filled till the pump stopped and i put in over 11 gallons and i arrived with a 1/4 tank of gas so i think its a little offf

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i usually fill up every 300 miles. works out to around 10 gallons.

but i know i ended up putting in 12.3 gallons once, gas needle was below empty. i was driving to the gas station on hopes and prayers at that point 8O

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Haha, reminds me of one time when I was just pulling into the gas station parking lot and the car died, I had to push it to the pump cause I didn't have enough momentum to roll the rest of the way.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
StealthStyle said:
i usually fill up every 300 miles. works out to around 10 gallons.

but i know i ended up putting in 12.3 gallons once, gas needle was below empty. i was driving to the gas station on hopes and prayers at that point 8O
I knew I was really low once. Stoped for gas and pumped in 13.1 gallons. 8O Didn't know I was about bone dry.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I fill my Tracer when it hits the last quarter on the guage... after that I don't trust it! The reason being I appear to have an issue where it won't read properly an example being at half a tank will read as 1/2 or between half and quarter or half and three quarters! It's not accurate I had read it was due to a sensor that ford had replaced but it's not a big issue it still reads alright.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts