FEOA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Trun the rack lock to lock to expell all of the fluid and then a piece or two of duct tape (after wiping the lines clean and dry).

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
You don't want the rack to be 100% dry, it still needs lubrication, but what I did was used a length of hose to loop the lines.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looping the lines is best.

Power steering fluid will dissolve the adhesive and nearly any tape, and then road grime gets in and grinds everything. A completely dry rack will either wear internally until it falls apart, or will seize up from corrosion.

Loop the lines.

·
Registered
927 Posts
OK...I get it now! You're removing the power steering all together, sans the rack. I thought you were just replacing the pump and wanted to keep crap out of the rack in the process. ;)

Guess I'm tooooo much a stocker or enjoy the comforts of the power steering. :lol:

By the way, tape won't patch a tire either...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Another question....How much fluid to leave in the rack? Will a turn lock to lock push out enough fluid and still leave in enough for lubrication? Thanks again. I'm putting this rack from an LX into a GT. The manual racks for each car have the same part numbers so I'm thinking it will work. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Don't drain any out of the rack. Do your best when connecting the lines to keep all the fluid in the rack. When you loop the lines with the rubber hose...as the rack goes from left to right (for example) the fluid will flow through the line to the opposite side (left) of the rack.

Simple as that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts