FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, my mother asked me to rotate the wheels on her 95LX wagon.

So I brought it into the shop, took off the 4 lug nuts, and tried to take the wheel off the axle with no luck. It was really stuck. I tried lightly tapping it off frm the backside with a rubbe mallet but it didn't even budge. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Often steel wheels will get rusted to the hub when not taken off in a while. Take off all 4 lugnuts, give it a good hard kick at the edge of the rim, and it'll pop loose. You may have to hit it quite hard.

I've seen some aluminum rims get stuck too before, but its nowhere near as common.

·
Registered
402 Posts
When i changed the rims on my scort they were stuck.........so i gave them a good hard kick down at the bottom and they came right off. That should work.............

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yeah it's like when the rear drums are stuck over the brakes....they were filled so much with brake dust ...i had to take them out by using two screws and WD-40 to push them off the 4 lug nuts :) Now i have grinded and repainted them and everything works like a charm :)
try to clean this whole area when you'll get the chance..sometimes the brake dust can be a serious pain in the ass :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
get some anti sieze. notice where the rim sets on the caliper or drum or w/e u got. then apply anti sieze to that entire region and put on ur lugs...and viola...no more gettin stuck..

yeh my friends pimped out blazer had aluminum rims. they were factory and hadnt been taken off yet. had a flat tire and a tow truck had to come out and get it off.. the guy worked for 2 hours tryin to get the rim off...he was using hammers, sledges...he ended up using a jack and pried it off...talk about siezed...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hm... ok
how did he use a jack to pry it off?
I used a prybar and tryed to get it off by prying between the strut and the wheel, but didn't want to bend the strut, so I stopped. Hm.

Also tried kicking it but that almos made it fall off the jackstands.

tonight, I gonna go apezor on it...

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
How the hell did you have that car jacked that if by just kicking the tire it would make it almost fall off 8O You got balls to work under a car jacked that insecurely. :x When I put my car on the stand I body slam the sides of it to make sure it's secure BEFORE I work on it or get under it.

Yes the aluminum rims can be a pain to get off. This is usually found in the more Northern climates where the winter road salt tends to accelerate the reaction between the steel and aluminum. The first tire removal since the winter is usually the hardest. If you hit one side of the tire while you pull on the other side it usually comes off. If they're stubborn a good kick will get them off, which I'm sure you noticed.

Make sure you properly torque the wheels when you install them. When you set them to the proper torque I found they are a lot easier to get off. Not to mention the safety of not having tires falling off (I'll have to post a pic I found on this).

Matt 8)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fixitmattman said:
How the hell did you have that car jacked that if by just kicking the tire it would make it almost fall off
I had it up on two jackstands on the front side, under the A-arm pivots... it wouldn't have fallen off, but I really kicked the shit out of the car and it still didn't come off...

enough to make the car wiggle a bit... probably wouldn't have ever come off but I was paranoid. I would have done a better job but it was late at night, I was tired, and I knew I wasn't working underneath the car anyway.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
siragan said:
... I would have done a better job but it was late at night, I was tired, and I knew I wasn't working underneath the car anyway.
There are some jobs you just need to take the time to do right.

Even if you weren't under the car, when a car falls off jack stands you know something is gonna break, and thanks to Murphy's law it's usually something expensive or a pain in the ass to replace.

When I put my car up, I place the stands just behind the front wheels. There's a nice solid boss there, It has a oval hole in it. I place the jacks between the outside of the car and that hole, closer to the seam weld.

Of course the ultimate solution would be to get a hydraulic hoist. :D
One of these days, one of these days...

Matt 8)

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
my favorite solution for this problem is to smack the center of the rim with a slegde hammer. breaks the loose everytime. also breaks the rear drums loose if its been sitting for over 2yrs.. (87 scort did that and I beat the snot outa those rims to break the drums look. also lost the dust caps.. whoops

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
sportscort93 said:
my favorite solution for this problem is to smack the center of the rim with a slegde hammer. breaks the loose everytime.
I'd hate to think what my rims would look like after doing that 8O

Aluminium or steel rims, that can't be any good :?

Matt 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts