FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this might be a dumb question but I was doing the wheel bearing in my 86 gt and I forgot how the races and bearings go together in the rear hub. Does it go like in the first picture where the flatter part of the race gets pounded into the hub first & the bearing drops in, or does it go like in the second picture where the open part of the race would be driven in along with the bearing so that you would have to pound out the race in order to get the bearing out as well?

Again, I know might be dumb question but I really can't remember how this came apart.

Keyul

· Registered
285 Posts
It goes in like the first picture, and then the washer goes on the outside.

By the way, how did you get the drum off the hub? Mine seems to be permanently pressed on. Did you need a press to get it off?

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I thought the first way was the right way!

Mine was frozen too, if you take a bit of pb blaster and spray around where the hub and drum meet, let it sit for a bit. You can take a propane torch, and heat it up a bit (or no heat, either way) Then take a small piece of wood, and put it over one of the wheel studs, whack it with a BFH, and alternate stud to stud. I used a 3lb hammer and it came apart pretty easily. Make sure you elevate the drum on something, such as a few more pieces of wood on both sides so that way when you whack it, you wont just be driving the hub straight into the pavement or something like that!

Keyul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.