FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is basically springs bs coilovers. I want to lower my car a decent amoun maybe 2 inches and I want it wo stay comfortable. Are coilovers okay for casual racing I mean i wont do it professionally but if I honda pulls up I will. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
well, it has been supported by the majority of the forum here that one of the best or better suspension setups would be a set of Eibach coilovers and some ZX2 S/R Tokico struts.

but coilovers have a tendancy to ride /real/ stiff. but on the other hand, springs are smoother. but the lowest spring rate you can get for lowering springs is 1.8". but if you put them on, and after awhile the car will settle down to about 1.9-2.0". so there's your two-inch drop. just put on a set of Tokico struts and you'll be just fine.

but for casual racing? a good set of Z-rated tires would help out dramatically.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
BAH, My Ground Control Coilovers aren't that stiff, I'm running the standard Eibach sprigs taht came with the set. I have never had anyone complain about the ride quality one guy even said it was nice compared to other lowered cars he'd ridden in. Springs are definitely going to be smoother, but they don't allow you to raise the car back up if needed, coilovers can do that.

Coilovers are good if you plan on doing more than just drag racing, they allow you to adjust each corner for track racing. (corner weighing I believe it is called) But a set of good coilovers (Ground Control or Dropzone are the two I think are best) are going to be expensive. $400+shipping is the going rate for GC coilovers and then another $200 for the ZX2 S/R struts to your door. but well worth it if you want a good starting suspension for racing. More addons later make it a real cornering machine.

Also with the spring rates, you can get softer springs for the coilovers too that will make the ride smoother, they just come standard witha mild race spring, but like I said, it isn't any worse than my car was on bad struts with old springs from the previous owner, its actually smoother now. And for the tires, if you run low-profile you will feel more road imperfections, hence why I am planning on running 15-16" rims with a good amount of rubber, helps keep a smoother ride and actually cuts weight over larger, flashier rims.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
i have dropzones. they're verry stiff, but they have got better over the months.

found 'em at this place www.driveracing.com and they had 'em for $89, and it was a total of $110 shipped.

but the tokico struts i found were on www.oemfordparts.com and they were selling them for $150 +shipping. i paid around $180 to get them to my door.

it wasn't all that bad financially and physically. im happy with the way it looks more than how it rides.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i went to the oemford place and i didnt c the struts..i need them for my car cuz i bought coilovers and i need the struts b4 i put the coils on

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've had both
Sprint Springs on Tokico S/R's
.....and....
ZX2 Weapon*R coilovers on Tokico "Blues"

I have to say....I like the ride quality of the Weapon*R's and Blue the best. Hell!! Even my mom says it's the best so far...and she hates anything that is not stock!! LOL

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I've heard the Weapon*R's are comparable to the GC's as far as ride quality but I believe the springs are a bit of an off diameter on the Weapon*R's and don't have as wide a range as teh GC's do. But I stand by my coilovers being rather comfortable also, and I have the ZX2 S/R's mated to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts