FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can remember my temp gague used to rest at the O or the R of C |_NORMAL_| H but then when the sensor wiring that controlled the fan got damaged, it almost hit hot. I replaced the sensor ($70 canadian) and but then it would go up to M or A before the fan would come on and it seemed like the car was running hotter. This worries me becuase I would assume that the car is less efficient at these higher temperatures. I even went and changed all my spark plugs to Boch Platinum +4 from OEM plugs that had 30,000km's on them. This seemed to help a TINY bit.

So what I'm asking is, what temperature is the needle guage supposed to be at if everything was perfect. Should I be worried (I mean it's still is in the normal range).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I compare it to my mum's intrepid and I see why I might be concerned. Her car is always at the same constant temperature. 20 % up the scale, near cold. I was getting decent fuel economy previously 26mpg. I'm rechecking it. Give me a few days. :wink:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
well the EGT tends to run hotter since it's a japaneese engine. Both my GTs run around the O or the R. If I'm in traffic, it's not abnormal for the fan to kick in around the M to the A after driving it hard prior to that. I've never had it go out of the NORMAL range though.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
My LX ran inbetween N and O. Then I got the 180 deg. thermostat. Now it barely even moves. It only ever hits O if its been idling for about half an hour in stop and go traffic.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. What's the 180 degree thermostat. Maybe that's what I should have got and I got something else instead. What I got looked stock. I mean I payed good money for it at the ford dealership. Where the connector goes it was grey coloured on the original and grey coloured on the new one.

The only thing I really care about is gas milage. If that is unaffected, then I'm not concerned. But I suspect that if I'm between the (NORMAL) R and the M much of the time, then gas milage may be affected. Lower temperature implies better thermodynamic efficency in an engine.

So what other type of thermostat is there other than a 180 degree thermostat and what is its colour? Oh yeah, I did have my radiator fluid flushed 1 year ago; that was 50,000 km/30,0000 miles ago. Actually sooner cause I had my water pump replaced only 10,000 kms ago.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both my GTs run around the O or the R. If I'm in traffic, it's not abnormal for the fan to kick in around the M to the A after driving it hard prior to that. I've never had it go out of the NORMAL range though.
siragan, this is what my is doing to the tee. I was just concerned about it though because, as far as I can recall, it never used to do this before the wire to the radiator fan broke and before I fixed the sensor (thermostat and wire).

I was just asking you guys if this is "normal" behaviour. According to most of you guys, it is not. I do remember my brand new Integra GSR used to run on the hotter side of the gauge too. But my mum's intreprid runs quite cool on the gague. Maybe I should just call up ford and ask them.

I think the best test will be to see what kind of fuel economy I get. If I get over 26/27mpg then I'm all good.

I just called Service at Ford. They said its normal for the radiator fan to not kick in till its in the A.... He said something about a 100degrees celcius I assume for the kick in

He said as long as its not going into the hot, then don't worry about it. Ford warranty doesn't cover anything that's not going into the red/hot.

Anyway thanks guys. And thank you Siragan

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, it seems to me its still in the normal range, so you shouldnt need to worry. Its also summer time. Im not sure where you live, but the temps have been over 100 degrees F. for almost a week straight. The higher outside temps of course make a cooling system less efficient.
First thing Id check is the thermostat. The thermostat is a spring loaded valve that should open about an inch at temp. It might be opening only partially causing higher temps. a 180 degree thermostat should open at 180 degrees and allow water from the engine to flow into the radiator once the car warms up. It will also open and close to keep the engine at its ideal operating temperature which is usually between 180 and 200 degrees F. You can get a higher rated thermostat which would open at say, 195 degrees as well. The car would operate a little warmer then. Some people switch from a 195 degree thermostat in winter months to a 180 thermostat in the hotter months.
Check the radiator cap; make sure it isnt corroded and that the pressure relief valve should be able to operate. If the valve cant open when needed, it can lead to higher coolant temps. Check your recovery reservoir for junk in the bottom of it. It isnt difficult to remove from the car. It may need cleaned out and refilled. I cleaned mine once and it had about an inch and a half of muddy looking sludge in the bottom of it. The recovery tube was completely clogged and inoperable. Check those out and see what happens. Another thing you might want to try is some kind of water surface-tension reducing chemical like Redline's Water Wetter in the cooling system. This stuff does what it says. Reduces the surface tension of water (thats what makes water cling to the sides of a container) and allows it to flow easier through the cooling system. Ive never tried it myself, but Ive heard nothing but good things about it.
You should be able to get yourself a thermostat for around 5 bucks or so at your local parts shop. They will be labeled with different temps; the 180 or the 195 most commonly. Try a 180 degree thermostat in your car and see if that helps. It deffinitely isnt going to hurt you. Ill have a How To article on changing the thermostat with pictures posted in the next couple of days on this site. check it out if you need the help.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Seriously - get a 180' thermostat. Mine was $3.95 locally and took maybe 20 minutes to install. My car also has an overheat issue because of a bad fan relay (no, haven't fixed it yet), and installing the 180 thermostat keeps it generally cooler.

One more thing - depending on your mix of coolant/water, your temp will vary, causing the differences in the gauge.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for you help guys. I just called parts at Ford. They tell me that for the 93 GT, they just have the 192 F thermostat and you can't get the 182 for that year. Or at least one guy tells me this. And it costs $35 canadian for the thermostat plust $3.50 for the gasket. With 15% sales tax, that works out to $45. ROLMFAO :lol:

Welcome to the world of cars. Or my world that is. I never find anything for cheap.

Again, thanks for your input. I know my car is running within spec. I'm just keeping an eye on fuel economy, which I can only measure when I go to fill up again but its not looking good judging by the needle.

A service guy at Ford also recommends AGAINST using this Boch Platinum +4 spark plug I got. I don't see what the big deal in it is either. I don't see any magic with my gas milage or peformance or idling. Its all hype. As is all the other junk in this world. :(

Digital camera's there's another story.... I don't wont to buy a cheap one... and I can't afford the one I want. so being poor I just have to sit and wait for the prices to come down.

O.k. that's enough of my whining. :D

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
192 deg. F thermostat = opens 196, closes 192

180 deg. F = opens 192, closes 192

150 deg. F = I forget

You will notice little to no change in drivability or fuel economy what so ever. With the 180 in the car I still can get up to 43 mpg. I usually get 39 at the worst. You will find though that according to your temp guage, the engine is almost always running cold. This is because your temp guage was designed to display values for the 192, the standard and factory recommended thermostat.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Forgot to add this,

180 deg. F failsafe thermostat, ~$13 at Canadian Tire. Thermostat housing gasket, 79 cents. About half an hour to install.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow you guys are great. You guys are like my new family now that I broke up with my g/f of 5 years. I'm headed over to Canadian tire right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to find that 180 degree thermostat and gasket.

And 39mpg OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you accomplish that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teach me your secrets. You know how much money I could save with that! Right now I get 29 mpg if I drive on the highway at 66mph /110 km/h steady (no fluctuation in speed) for 300 km. I.e. its very difficult for me to get that kind of economy.

I usually average 25 mpg.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow you guys are great. You guys are like my new family now that I broke up with my g/f of 5 years. I'm headed over to Canadian tire right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to find that 180 degree thermostat and gasket.

And 39mpg OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you accomplish that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teach me your secrets. You know how much money I could save with that! Right now I get 29 mpg if I drive on the highway at 66mph /110 km/h steady (no fluctuation in speed) for 300 km. I.e. its very difficult for me to get that kind of economy.

I usually average 25 mpg.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED

I went to Canadian Tire, got the 180 degree F failsafe thermostat for $15 and the gasket for $2 plus tax on both. I went to my mechanic to find out where to install it and my Jamaican mechanic who works in the big shop I go to (I love him) said I shouldn't do it myself.

He was right!!! I don't have all the tool's to get at it and I don't have the silicone to greese up the gasket. I had a another mechanic do it for $30 canadian. $22 american. One of the guys that runs the shop said that I should have been charged $40. I'm like wow, I thought $30 was expensive. But after I saw the job being done I thought $30 was fair. Ford would have charged $70 for 1 hour plus tax. Plus $45 for parts so that would have worked out to $130. I got it done for $50 so that's not too bad.

I know you guys can get it done for $25 canadian so I'm getting better.

But anyway, the car is running cooler. NORMAL. Now its at N and O. Before it was at R and M; and the fan was kicking in at A. Now the fan is kicking in at R. Wow it feels much better now. I'm picky, as I think a lot of you guys are, and this is a big deal to me.

We solved the problem :D

Thank you to everyone who answered. :!:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Glad your problem is fixed. You paid a little more for the failsafe thermostat than if youd have bought just a regular thermostat, but thats ok, its failsafe, right? :p Failsafe just means that if it fails, it wont get stuck in a closed position so that no water can flow at all; theres another small valve in addition to the normal one.
By the way, I replaced mine as well and cured the overheating problem. The problem with the thermostat is, at temperature, it wont open all the way so it impedes coolant flow. The good thermostat should open about an inch, leaving a nice open valve area for coolant to flow. Notice in this pic how the bad thermostat only opened about a quarter of an inch. It also took over 200 degrees to do it. The stamping on the thermostat body says 85/88 degrees C. which is 185 - 190 degrees F.
http://myweb.cableone.net/dirtyjim/badstat.jpg

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
25?????? 8O

The LX is the milage king compared to the GT, but you should still be getting at least 35mpg. (unless you've modified certain engine control items).

The last time I got milage close to that bad was when I drove to Windsor to check out the Detroit auto show. It was the middle of a cold freeze in January, car loaded with luggage and 4 people, doing between 130-140 almost all the way there (neglecting the times I had to slow down to 100 so my windshied wipers could do their job), and going against the wind. I got 28.

I just keep everything well tuned and running smooth. Once you pick up the shift patterns on the auto tranny, you can figure out where to rev your engine to get it up to speed, then drop it into Overdrive asap. That's been my key, drive in Overdrive as much as possible. I also don't like to use my brakes. Whenever you use your brakes, you usually have to get on the gas right away.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sajeevan - He drives an LX (based on his signature) and you drive a GT. That is the difference in economy, for the most part. Your car will not run as efficiently but yours will outperform his, assuming they are both stock. If you do figure out how to get 39 mpg with a GT, let me know. (Of course, the way I drive :wink: it will probably only even out to be about 30 city/37 hwy.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.