FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last car I ran the Motorcraft Double Platinum plugs which were the ones that probably came on the car. The car runs great with them and that is what is in there now.

However, since these engines are waste spark motors... that seems to wear out the plugs twice as fast since they get fired twice during each cycle, both at combustion and exhaust. So I am considering throwing some iridium plugs in there when plugs get changed this year. Any thoughts or preferences. NGK? Denso? Or just stick with the Motorcraft plugs because Autozone has them in stock and they work great but don't last as long? Only $6.49 each.

Motorcraft plugs claim a life span of 100,000 miles. Cut that in half and you get 50,000 miles out of them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well apparently the Motorcraft plugs are just Autolites. LOL. No big deal. They have worked well for me in the past. But I am thinking of going with some NGK's next time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a set of NGK iridium plugs sitting in my glove box that may or may not make it into the car. Not sure why I didn't buy Motorcraft, but I would typically buy Motorcraft.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might stick with the Motorcraft Double Platinum plugs. They do work great but I was just thinking I might like something that lasted a bit longer. Will see.

Whatever you do don't ever put a Motorcraft tensioner on the car. The bolt head for the ratchet to mate to is not only shallower but it is also not as wide. This leads to bloody knuckles. I use a Gates tensioner. I do put some Motorcraft parts pn the car but not a whole lot. Plugs has been one of those things. But yeah, they appear to just be Autolite plugs.

·
Administrator
39,454 Posts
I use whatever plain old plug is a dollar or so on Rockauto, never had problems.
bro.... you need to use double platinum plugs. just because you 'never had problems'..... that is a good way to burn up a coil, using Nickle or copper plugs.

They do work great but I was just thinking I might like something that lasted a bit longer. Will see.
double platinum plugs are a 100k mile plug, why do you need something that will 'last longer'... spark plugs used to be a 15,000 mile service to replace them back in the day. there is not really anything that exists that will get you longer life than double platinum.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Why would using "plain" type spark plugs burn up a coil?
I suppose if I let them wear out to a huge gap, but I check and gap (if necessary) the plugs on the family fleet regularly.
Plus I have spare EDIS units, etc. from junked cars.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've been using E3's. My automatic will spin the tires and everything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using those weird multi-electrode type of plugs for around a year. I can't recall the exact model. They are Bosch Fusion Platinum whatevers. There was a wholesale deal on Rock Auto at the time. Like $12 for four, where they were $7 new, so I was curious to try them out. I didn't have much faith in them running well, but they've been doing fine.

·
Administrator
39,454 Posts
Why would using "plain" type spark plugs burn up a coil?
the short answer is that the platinum plugs have resistors built into them that control the current. copper and nickle plugs do not have the resistor, so as the gap increases over 55 thou the current draw from the coil goes exponential.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,041 Posts
the short answer is that the platinum plugs have resistors built into them that control the current. copper and nickle plugs do not have the resistor, so as the gap increases over 55 thou the current draw from the coil goes exponential.
That doesn't sound quite right. To the best of my knowledge all spark plugs have some sort of resistor built in. According to this article I found from NGK, the only plugs without resistors are used in racing applications. NGK.com: What is a Resistor Spark Plug?
Any spark plug can damage a coil if it's gap gets too big. I've come across double platinum plugs that have both pieces of platinum worn away so it absolutely can happen.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I admit that I'm frugal and like to use things up, but I do keep a close eye on wear parts.
I keep a log on each car, so know when parts are near their end of life, such as brake pads and shoes, which I get immense satisfaction of using up within an inch (actually around 1/64 inch) of their lives.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Double platinum plugs are a 100k mile plug, why do you need something that will 'last longer'... spark plugs used to be a 15,000 mile service to replace them back in the day. there is not really anything that exists that will get you longer life than double platinum.
This is not really true since the plugs on a ZX2 get fired twice as many times. They not only get fired during the ignition cycle, but they also get fired during the exhaust cycle. That is known as "waste spark" and will change that 100,000 mile plug into a 50,000 mile plug...

I drive my car for work and put about 25,000 miles per year on it. So 50,000 miles happens in about two years time and at that point the plug gap gets pretty damn wide.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already know that the double platinums will work just fine. Yet when I had the plugs changed out on the old ZX2 before it met its demise, the old plugs did have a pretty huge gap. I don't know exactly how many miles I put on them. If I stick with them I am just going to have to make sure that I change them before going over the two year mark. I do plan on changing the current set out this summer so was just asking for opinions. And as you can see there are different opinions. Going to iridium plugs will cause no harm at all but may extend the plug life.

·
Administrator
39,454 Posts
they take that into account though. all second gen 1.9, spi and zx2 use the wasted spark system. i mean in the end it doesnt really matter what is in there as long as somethings in there. im speaking from ideal perspectives on the numbers

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my last car I ran the Motorcraft Double Platinum plugs which were the ones that probably came on the car. The car runs great with them and that is what is in there now.

However, since these engines are waste spark motors... that seems to wear out the plugs twice as fast since they get fired twice during each cycle, both at combustion and exhaust. So I am considering throwing some iridium plugs in there when plugs get changed this year. Any thoughts or preferences. NGK? Denso? Or just stick with the Motorcraft plugs because Autozone has them in stock and they work great but don't last as long? Only $6.49 each.

Motorcraft plugs claim a life span of 100,000 miles. Cut that in half and you get 50,000 miles out of them.
I kept the original ones for over 150,000 miles and still good. The car was destroyed by a drunk driver but the plugs fired without hesitation

·
Registered
320 Posts
I stick with OEM.... I have seen vehicles in the past that run better with the OEM plugs. I hate Champions, but Chrysler products run best with them. I have heard the ecm somehow notices the resistance in the plugs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts