FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right below and in front of the thermostat box there is a barb where a hose attaches. That hose then runs along the driver's side of the motor and connects to the intake. When that hose was not hooked up properly on my old ZX2 it did in fact throw a code for lean. This car has not thrown any codes but the hose disintegrated there. I was able to use some 3/8" ID hose to repair it by hooking it to the barb and then hooking it to the hose that was left as it has an internal metal sleeve. Easier than replacing that entire hose but there is a small kink. If I could find a 90 degree rubber elbow with a 3/8" internal diameter that would solve the problem. Maybe I can try to post up a photo. Same problem on both of my ZX2's...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So somebody decided to run that ground wire over top of the thermostat housing. Not sure why they did that. You can see in that photo the short piece of hose that I used to bridge that gap between the barb and the internal metal sleeve of that hose I was talking about. It does look to be slightly kinked as well. Just below the stud in the photo. My blood on the exhaust manifold cover after scraping a knuckle. LOL.

·
Registered
742 Posts
that is your pcv hose and that is not a ground wire. You better take care of that wire and its routing because if you break it then your car wont run any longer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is your pcv hose and that is not a ground wire. You better take care of that wire and its routing because if you break it then your car wont run any longer
Is that a sheath with wires in it? People do stupid stuff. You would think that someone would notice when something like that is in the wrong place.

As for the PCV hose... all that I need to do a quick and dirty repair is an elbow with a 3/8" ID... Would be better than the piece of hose I cobbled in there. No code was being thrown at all even though the end of that hose was completely cracked and leaking there.

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
Not sure what it carries, but might be able to use a 90 degree plastic elbow and link two high-temp hoses to it. IF it's some form of EGR then the plastic might not work; and the hose *will* need to be special; maybe fuel line hose(?).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Previouos comment calls it a PCV hose. Weird place to put a PCV Calve one would think. I have always seen them up on top of the valve cover. I used some hose to fix it for now but a rubber elbow would be preferable. Anyway at least it is connected now and not just leaking... I guess I could use a plastic elbow if I can find a rubber one. Then connect with hose. But that makes more connections.

·
Super Moderator
7,639 Posts
Okay then the air running through there is relatively cool. The elbow on my 'scort would collapse under vacuum. I used a vacuum tee. One end was capped. The other end had a tiny piece of hose. Beyond that, the original hose was used.

upload_2021-1-20_19-1-0.png

upload_2021-1-20_19-3-14.png

1 - 8 of 8 Posts