FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've raced plenty of five speed corollas and geo prizm's and they're slow; I win just about all of them; except last night when I was on highway 40/64 crossing the mississipi into illinois. I pulled onto the highway and this corolla pulls up behind me and promptly gets on my tail, so I floor it. Normally I'd be gone but this guy stayed right with me all the way until got to about ninety then I got ahead of him more and hit 110. I saw him slow down so I did to and we got next to each other. It /appeared/ to be a 97 Corolla, de-badged so I couldn't tell what model it was, with what sounded like an intake and an exhaust. I heard no turbo under the hood and I think if he had had one he wouldn've kicked my arse much worse anyways. My car is a stock 97 LX Sport except for the removal of the intake silencer. Any ideas about what this guy might have done to his car? I've never ever had one keep up with me and I've raced lots of stock 5 spd corollas.

PS What kind of displacement do those have? 1.6 liter if I'm not mistaken, right?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If it was a corolla, it was an engine swap or nitrous. My guess is nitrous. Even with the nitrous, it shouldn't put out much more than 140hp (not enough fuel to make any more power than that), so you should still have taken it.

If it was a Camry (the larger car, i think, unless i have the 2 flip-flopped), it comes with a +/- 200HP v6, so yes, that probably would have eaten you down the highway.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... I don't know. 140 hp. I was at the top of my rpm. My car tops out at 112 with the windows up and 110 with the windows down, due to the revlimiter. I came 100 rpm away from the revlimiter in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and hit in in fifth. My revs top out at 6250 RPM. I redline at like 5800. She was giving it absolutely everything she had but it wasn't enough. I need some more speed. Maybe I should lose weight. :?

PS it was a corolla, it was small, and I could tell by the headlights what it was. My car is a 97 LX (3gen) which weighs in at 2300 lbs, 110 hp and 120-something ft lbs of torque. If I had a gt or zx2 i coulda won.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye... she gets there pretty durn quick though... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I feel helpless for some reason. My car seems to be bottom of the line wherever I go. lol :(

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah well. I guess not everyone can be lucky and find a GT. /Somebody/ has to drive the LX's... Still... If I was an adult and I had a good paying job... I might buy one. Cars are so cheap right now; the economy is really in the uhh... Place where the brown stuff goes. Although it's still not so bad. We still have our infrastructure and we really haven't /lost/ anything persay; so... I don't get it. Why are things so 'bad'? I know people are losing their jobs and stuff but I still don't get why.... ah well... maybe I'll understand it when I'm older. (Not.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
"I came 100 rpm away from the revlimiter in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and hit in in fifth. My revs top out at 6250 RPM. I redline at like 5800. "

how high can i rev my car i have a 91 gt and i never go over 4500 and i red line a 8000. im always afraid of killing my car, am i just nervous to drive that hard?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't believe that 91 gt's have revlimiters. However if it redlines at 8k, I wouldn't take it too much farther over that. How high does your tach go? I can't use the last 2k rpm on mine. I think you'd be safe taking it to 6k... I redline mine routinely. Almost every day. Because... The redline is set way too low and I've seen where someone installed a custom tach on their car, along with taking off the revlimiter, and they hit eight k in an SPI without messing it up. So...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Your EGT should only redline at 7000...

if you shift at 4500 you're shifting at your peak torque output.

127 hp @ 6500 rpm
114 lb ft @ 4500 rpm

if you TRY to rev to 8000 you'll get a taste of your steering wheel because at 7200 your rev limiter will kick in and you will feel like you hit a brick wall when it does. I've hit it twice in my car because I wasn't paying attention when trying to pass someone. :oops:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, that sounds right. I've hit it in mine but it didn't throw me forward like that, because I was expecting it. Anyways, WOOT!!! I have more torque than a GT!! AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Oh...I misread that. My bad. You do have more torque than an EGT. but you have 110 hp (125 lb ft torque)
Guess what? your car weighs 1 lb less than an EGT does too :lol:

But a 5 sp GT will still take you, bad.

How? I dunno...maybe it's gearing. :wink:

Edit: an EGT does have a rev limiter, like I said it's set at 7200 rpm. All cars have rev limiters, not necessarily to protect the engine itself but to protect the accessories and the oil pump. We all saw what that dude did to his Acura RSX-S when he downshifted into 2nd from 5th :roll:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
James92Scort said:
Oh...I misread that. My bad. You do have more torque than an EGT. but you have 110 hp (125 lb ft torque)
Guess what? your car weighs 1 lb less than an EGT does too :lol:

But a 5 sp GT will still take you, bad.

How? I dunno...maybe it's gearing. :wink:
It's all about the torque curve. Find a dyno sheet of each and look at the peak output at each 1000rpm interval. The EGT is MUCH higher and smoother across the board, with the LX peaking up high, and not really having jack shmack unless you're revving it all to hell and back. Which is why a 220hp SHO at 3200lbs. will keep up with a lighter s2000 down the highway. Torque curve.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I have yet to have my car dyno'd so it's impossible to look at the dyno sheet of it :wink:

holy crappo I just d/l'd a video of some moron missing a shift from 3rd to 4th adn slammed it in 2nd, if you freeze it you can see the tach slam past the 9k mark and then bounce back to like 4k. the passenger was like wtf? and the driver went "oh shit" 8O lol well...don't do that unless you're used to the damn shifter!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you're saying I got beat by a stock corolla? I don't believe it... I just... don't believe it... :cry: Aww. My car sucks. It has worse quarter mile and 0-60 times than a corolla... But I've never lost to a corolla before... I don't get it... Ah... my car sucks. :cry: Maybe I'll let someone steal it and beg my dad to buy me a GT.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.