FEOA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First up, worn rims, dont want to spend a lot of money so is there any way i can paint/refinish this to clean them up a little, of should i start saving for replacements?

What about the spring, can i cut out the rest of the worn out plastic and paint them with tremclad or something? It would look cool if i painted them blue or something but not if its going to really look cheap.

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a set of 15" '91 GT rims that are already well painted for sale. The paint quality is awesome, but I got them in a trade and don't like the colors. They are painted a dark purple, almost black on the center cap and face, and a lighter blue in the "blades" and the ford emblem in cap is recessed in red. The quality and smoothness is there, so prepping and repainting should be a snap. If anyone is interested, you can contact me for pictures and/or questions at [email protected].

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for getting the picture posted veggie; I can't seem to get it to work properly. Any info on posting would be appreciated. I also can't load an avatar picture either. I know that the color scheme is awful, but they are in great condition and should be easy to repaint to taste.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wheel fix

These wheels can look pretty cool if they are cleaned and prepped well. The real problem with these wheels is the clear has got scratched and dirty; there is nothing wrong with the actual wheel. The fix: Sand or strip the clear off. Don't scratch the aluminum with anything rougher than you need. I would use 240 wet/dry paper, always use wet or dry paper wet and with a little dishwashing liquid. Get all clear off that way. Then switch to 400w/d, 600w/d, 1200 w/d and 1500 w/d paper. The key to polishing aluminum is smooth!! Then you can remove the 1500 sandpaper scratches with some rubbing compound. Finish with something like Mothers aluminum polish. It will look nice!!
Something to note, when you see black when working with aluminum, it means you are actually removing some aluminum. That's what the goal is to flatten and smooth the surface. You can use clear to protect them or rub some mothers on them every month or so.
By the way, chrome paint does not work or look even close to polished aluminum or real chrome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts