FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I have a leak inside my car. I noticed the passenger side carpet getting all wet for no reason, and today I saw where the water was coming from- around the blower motor. Any idea what seal has gone bad and let water leak into the motor housing/ducting? This is not good seeing that it will be raining contantly for the next 4 months or so. Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
It's not the heater core. I've got the same thing happening Mike. Only happens during a torental downpour. Someone told me the cowl drains are plugged and it backs up enough to go through the fresh air vent and into the HAVC system. I have yet to remove the plastic trim under the wipers and clean/verify this as the problem but it seemed reasonable. That or both of us have bad windsheild gaskets. :?

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip. I know it's not the heater core because I have a brand new one in there now (4th one in 2 years). Also, it's leaking clean water, not coolant. I will have to take the wiper trim off and see if I can find the clogged drains. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have seen this problem before and it is most likely the condensation drain from the blower housing...this usually shows up during the summer from the condensation from the evap core, but I could see how it could happen from heavy rain...you may also want to clean out your cowl area

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no EVAP core, no A/C. Would've been a good bet if it had one though. :)

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I'm glad it's not your heater core. I figured you'd know the smell of coolant, but that seemed the most likely culprit.

It would take a lot of rain to come in through the vents, but I suppose it's possible. I've discovered the plastic drain-away basins below the windshield completely clogged with crap before - it's something that you just never think to check or clean out since they're covered (supposedly) and awkward to get at.

I don't think there's any chance it's coming through the windshield mouldings or urethane seal - that stuff is impermeable.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Hey we live in western WA so lots of rain is not a problem for us to muster up. :? Don't like rain, wait 5min the weather usually changes that fast around here. :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
plugged drain...

plugged drain was the problem on my 94 LX...fried the blower mtr... be smarter than me though ... don't bust the cowl trim taking it off...hehe :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I finally got around to it and the small drain hole on the passenger side right under the cowl trim was clogged with sand. I cleaned it out and now it seems to not leak anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts