FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah so i dropped a new motor into my car like 4 months ago and one of the things i was looking forward to is no water leaks and oil staying in my crank case like it should and not venture out the tailpipe :) anywho the oil is still staying in the crankcase (at least im pretty sure) but last night my freakin coolant light came on... this is SO dumb, i just got off an 11 hour shift, the dude fillin in for my manager while my manager is on 2 weeks vacation is bein an ass and we really dont get along so its 11 hours of hell... only to come out to my car to the wonderful orange light i have missed so much. whats worse is its freezing out... literally and i am not sure if i have damaged something with an incorrect mix of antifreeze be it a cracked block, head, radiator... but i need sleep since it is now 7:40am my time and i have been up since 6:00am yesterday (yes working 11 of those hours) hopefully ill be able to at least glance around with some sunlight today and not sleep right throught all of it.

*end rant*

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I've got a nice leak too... comin from the drivers side.... right by where the pipe meets the rad I think. I should check it out, but if I take the cap off, I can still see the coolant, so maybe it was just over filled. I'll find out!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Well, what mix did you put in when you dropped the new motor in? My guess is that it isn't sucking coolant down and spitting it somewhere. It's probably just getting all the air out of the cooling system after putting in the new motor and you just need to add more.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh ive got the air out... my car has run below the n since i did the swap. i ported my a spair intake i had and threw it on, when i removed my throttle body i getto rigged that gasket and there is a water jacket through that so i had a small leak from that... that has since been replaced with a mazda gasket. actually what has me worried is it was over night... i work from 12:00 am to whenever we are done and last night i had to come in at 8:00 pm well this morning i went out and started my car while i was stripping out of my coveralls and boots and by the time i pulled out of the parking lot the light was on... i dont leave puddles or anything. now what scares me is last night i believe was below 0 degrees (32 f )

as for my mix i put in 50/50 but that leak i mentioned 2 times i had to add water because my light came on and i just added water... i ended up gettin up after the sun went down so i didnt get to look at it... hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Well even a 30-70 (antifreeze-water) mixture is good to -20 F or something like that, so unless you added at least 3 L of water to it over time, you're gonna be fine. I wouldn't worry about freeze damage.

Even if the entire solution was pure water, the engine heat would keep it above 32F for many hours if the ambient temperature didn't go much below freezing.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good call you have eased my fears... now my next fear is where the leak is from... i have replaced uper and lower hoses along with the heater core hoses (when i dropped the motor in) so now all that is left is those small ones that are a pita to get to under the intake manifold... just something else to fix... good thing i have a friend with a heated shop :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts