FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally up and running with everything about where it needs to be.
I about 3K RPM the engine started to rattle a little (like rods knocking or predetination??) I went ahead and insalled some 1 step colder plugs (took out the platinums and did the copper core autolites). It still doesn't sound too good so I didn't push the rpms much higher as the boost was continuing to climb.

My question is mostly regarding the wastegate actuator, I had do do a little creative bending to get it to line up corretly and an thinking that there is too much spring preload on the wastgate. On your setups how much do you have to pull the rod to get it to snap into the hole for the wastegate..... I'm thinking I have too much preload on it and the boost isn't opening the valve enough. I don't want to run more than about 6-7psi max with my stock components and shifting at 6.5psi is about 3K so my 0-60 time is like 14seconds!

Also I rewired the 02 sensor to the precat one on the black wire. It seems that the reading on my guage bounces all over from lean to rich. At idle it sould stay pretty constant right? What's your experience with this. Also Jeff recommended about 25psi on the fuel rail with 24# injectors this showed that it was way rich to I tuned it down to 19psi which was as low as the AFPR would go. What are some of you running with 24# injectors? I shouldn't have to take it lower than 19psi should I since it's supossedly 32psi stock.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
With 24lb injectors my car idel's great with the A-FPR set all the way down to 19psi. At full boost my fuel pressure is around 80psi.

Are you using a FMU? If so what's the ratio?

If your turbo is running higher boost then what you want, you'll need to modifly the waste gate rod. I cut the shaft, threaded it and added a coupler to join the two end's back together. Than just use the coupler to adjust the spring tention on the flaper. Should be set so the spring just has a tiny bit of pressure holding it shut, should put you about 6psi.

If that noise you here sound like some one shaking marbles in a can, that's deto. That mean's your ride'n the line of safty too close.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marbles in a can...

Yup Marbles in a can that's what it sounded like. Definatley not good. I have way too much preload on the spring if it should be holding it with a "tiny bit of pressure" I had to pull it probably 3/8th of an inch or so.... I'll get a coupler and thread the shaft. (hopefully I can to that on the car (crossing fingers).

I definately want around 6psi as 7-8 caused marbles. I did run the one step colder plugs as I figured the platinums I had were a bad idea?(are colder plugss suppose to slightly help pre detination?)

The FMU i have is adjustable per your recomendation but I have no way to see what it's at under boost as the guage is on the rail. I was thinking maybe hooking up an air tank that had 6psi to the FMU with it running and seeing what it boosted the rail pressure to. Currently I have no idea what its set to.

I also welded a o2 bung to the downpipe so I could take it into my fathers shop and hook it up to exhaust gas analyzer to see what the A/F was really doing since the LED guage I have is bumping around all over.

The boost is awesome but having to shift around 3K since the wastegate isn't kicking in put my 0-60 time around 14seconds :cry:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts