FEOA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get a moped, and i know some people on this forum has one. i am totally clueless about them, and i do not know where to start learning about them haha. can anyone help me?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Whatever you buy check for available replacement parts. There are lots of mopeds that are made in China and I would guess it would be nearly impossible to get replacement parts for them. Even if nothing else tears up you'll need to replace brakes and other normal wear parts.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
from my personal experience, i highly reccomend a Honda Hobbit AKA PA50 or PA50-II.

from like 77-80 they made the PA50 (20mph) and PA50-II (30mph). the 20mph one is really slow. the other thing about these older ones is they have a points ignition (kind of a pain) and no blinkers.

i prefer the 81-83 hobbit. they eliminated the 20mph model, and added blinkers and a CDI ignition. they are a piece of cake to maintain and run forever. just make sure you dont let old gas gunk up the carb. the carb is a beeyotch to clean if they get clogged up.

i have an 83 hobbit btw. parts availability is excellent, lots of things interchange with other honda models, and they kept making these things until recently in europe under the "Honda Camino" nameplate. there are aftermarket big bore kits, pipes, etc available... but i just use it to get from A to B in the summertime.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was looking at the honda hobbit. thanks for letting me know about the slow model, i cant have that since i want to use it to go to work in the summer

·
Registered
436 Posts
Why not just upgrade to a full on bike? A ninja 250 is a great ride. And still gets somthing near 70mgp.

Mine will top out at 50mpg. I can't beat it thou great bike. Looks sport but is really relaxed.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DrunkinMist said:
Why not just upgrade to a full on bike? A ninja 250 is a great ride. And still gets somthing near 70mgp.

Mine will top out at 50mpg. I can't beat it thou great bike. Looks sport but is really relaxed.
if i got a bike id have to get a rider permit, id have to get insurance, it wouldnt be worth it for where i wanna go with a moped.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Moped's are like fat women. They are both fun to ride, but you wouldn't let your friends catch you on either one.

·
Registered
436 Posts
PEEWEE91 said:
DrunkinMist said:

if i got a bike id have to get a rider permit, id have to get insurance, it wouldnt be worth it for where i wanna go with a moped.
Hate to brake this to you. But you may just want to check your state laws. Here moped riders still have to get a motorcycle licence. Don't quote me its been a while since i looked it up but i believe for WA its 50cc and up that need it. And also my state doesn't require motorcycles to carry insurance. Not that i don't anyways but i carry basic and uninsured motorist aswell. Cost me 40 a month. If i didn't have the uninsured part was like $110 for 12 month. That only 15 a month. Why can't my car insurance be that cheap?

Plus you still have to licence and tag the thing.

Just making my case.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Different states have different laws on mopeds. I know in NY if it goes under 32 MPH you don't need a motorcycle license. If it goes 20 MPH or less you don't need insurance or a helmet. In all cases you need a plate though.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, i have read that in new hampshire you just give them the registration and like 15 bucks and you get a plate. and its all good. i want to get a bike someday but honestly i dont have time right now for the class to get the permit, and my dad really doesnt want me to get a motorcycle, his coworker died on one last year. yet when i told him about the moped he was okay with it, even though its like the same amount of risk haha

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I say ninja 250. 70 mpg, can go on the highway, and having a m1 license will look cool when you go to buy booze. I understand the cheapness of a moped, but damn 20-30 mph? might as well just get a decent mountain bike or commuter. get buff while you get around and you could actually go faster.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
anything not residential here is about 45mph. I'm guessing around a college town with like you said 25 mph streets it would be fine. I just like the ability to take the interstate if I need to get somewhere faster. Not ripping on mopeds at all, just seems like once guys go from a moped to a bike, they wonder why they didn't before. the test isn't hard, the insurence is cheap, and the freedom is unbelievable. 8) But.. like you said if you only need 35mph, than by all means mopeds fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeahm i plan on using mine at college, and another pro of the moped is they are allowed on the sidewalks on my campus, so i can just lock it up to a bike rack haha or bring it inside my dorm

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I skipped the moped.

to small cc fo rhere. 49cc o rsmaller. no liscense in cali.

I grabbed a 150cc Scooter last year. tops around 50-55 MPH. waiting for me to mod. lol. Get about 68-75 MPG, saves alot of money when going to work over the MS3. lol

And was minimum size to take the M1 liscense, so i cna legally ride anything on 2 wheels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts