FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 98 ZX2. Several months ago I had a pulley bearing sieze up, which casued the destruction of my timing belt. A couple buddies familiar with cars came over and over 11 hours we replaced the belt, pulleys, and water pump. After many many hand-cranked rotations we couldn’t get the belt to keep from walking toward the passenger side of the vehicle. We were initially worried, but thought we just had to put the harmonic balancer on.

The vehicle ran well for 4 weeks until the timing belt shredded itself from walking off in the same direction. Tore everything apart again, replaced the lower crank gear for the new one that is all one piece, double checked the torque specs on all the bolts\pulleys, watched each pulley for any wobble but can’t find anything that seems to be the problem. The belt still walks though. It is enough that after a couple hundred hand-cranked turns the belt is showing wear from rubbing. The only place it can come from is contact with the back-side of the harmonic balancer. The edge of the harmonic balancer is beveled, which makes it seem like it is supposed to help keep the timing belt on.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve already had a mechanic look it, but he just started naming parts to start changing out. I would like to avoid just buying new parts based on “maybe this will work”. Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
6,177 Posts
you need to re-adjust the tensioner, too much tension makes it go off on one side, too little tension makes it go off the other side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tensioner has been adjusted so there is 1/4" of give between the two cam gears and that tension is equal all the way around the belt. Is there something I'm missing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.