FEOA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in another thread, but haven't gotten a response, and I searched and found nothing, so I'm starting a new thread.

I need a VSS (vehicle speed sensor). However, the parts stores and sites seem to like 4-5 different ones, and I have NO IDEA how to tell which one I need. Am I going to need to pull mine and look for a color code, or count the teeth first? That sounds like a major PITA.

·
Registered
107 Posts
you're going to need to pull yours.

A couple things you need to know in order to get the right one. Transmission type, engine type, year.

if/when you pull the sender, it will have the part # on it.

The sender is easy enough to pull. Disconnect the speedometer cable from sender, disconnect ecu plug from sender, unbolt sender retainer, remove sender.

takes about 15 minutes to remove, about the same to place the new one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obliterous said:
you're going to need to pull yours.

A couple things you need to know in order to get the right one. Transmission type, engine type, year.

if/when you pull the sender, it will have the part # on it.

The sender is easy enough to pull. Disconnect the speedometer cable from sender, disconnect ecu plug from sender, unbolt sender retainer, remove sender.

takes about 15 minutes to remove, about the same to place the new one.
Well, it's a '94 LX, 1.9, 5 speed. I'm not concerned with pulling the sendor, but I'd rather not pull it, re-install, drive to the parts store, and pull it again.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And while I'm in there, I'm going to change the trans fluid as well. Is it confirmed that 3.5 quarts is what I need to pour in with a drain & fill when filling from the VSS hole??

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was there some kind of pattern? Or did some cars simply have 22 teeth, and some simply had 23 teeth? Very, very strange.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Obliterous said:
kendogg said:
Obliterous said:
For a 2nd Gen manual transaxle, the capacity is 2.9 quarts
Oh this is different than what I've read in other threads. Are you sure?
That's what My owners manual and haynes manual both say.

I'd have 4 quarts ready, but start with 2.9.
And how do you check it? from what I've read, you simply can't.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Use your old vss as a dipstick when filling. Have it clean and dry before each stick. The fluid level should come up the the top of the actual gear splines of the gear on the vss. Using this as a guide, adjust properly. On manual trans. I like using a high quality synthetic fluid.(worth the money) I noticed considerable difference in ease of shift, easy clutchless shifting, and easier high rev downshifts. In my "91 GT, I can slip into 2nd at over 70 with no problem for syncros. I've put the trans. under a lot of load autocrossing over the years and it's still my DD.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be mixing Castrol Merc V, and 1 quart of Redline MTL.

And I heel-toe revmatch my downshifts, so thats not an issue either. Autox isn't hard on a transmission. VERY rarely have I ever had to downshift into 1st at an autox.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I have heard the gear on the VSS is removible. If this is the case then you could buy what ever one is cheaper and swap the gear if its the wrong one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Odds are, you're gonna catch hell trying to take it out(putting it lightly) so it's pretty important that you coat the new one in anti-seize compound before you put it in. My trans leaks so I need to be able to get the VSS in and out easy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hollywood_Heat said:
Odds are, you're gonna catch hell trying to take it out(putting it lightly) so it's pretty important that you coat the new one in anti-seize compound before you put it in. My trans leaks so I need to be able to get the VSS in and out easy.
Mine actually came out with ease. It was a 22 tooth with a red gear. $35, ordered one from AutoZone yesterday, it'll be here tonight when I get out of work. The trans fluid in this car is DISGUSTING!! I can't wait to change it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
it actually doesnt matter which one you buy as you can take the drive end off your original speed sensor and put it on the new one. for some reason at my local parts store the white vss is cheaper than the red vss... but the drive ends are interchangeable.
by the way... the white ones are for cars with 13 inch tires and the red is for 14 inch tires. i verified this by pulling like 2 dozen of then at my local pull a part :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts