FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea mine is pretty much rusted and leaking oil, does ford still sale a valve cover gasket for the 1g gt?

Chris

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I'd highly suggest diving into the nearest autoyard and grabbing one from there. If Ford still does make/have OEM, you'll probably pay through the nose and then some.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Yeah, they're fine to be reused, so you could probably find one at the junker that's suitable.

I'm not a fan of combining RTV sealant with a gasket, but you could get away with this on the valve cover if you want to go ahead and re-use yours (if it's intact).

It could be that your valve cover is warped due to over-torque too. Take it off and check to see if it is flat and level. If it's warped, you'll never get a nice seal seal by replacing the gasket. Then, go find a nice flat valve cover at the junker.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You know, valve cover gaskets are not that much, why on earth would you want to get one off another old car?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
humm
how come a valve cover gasket can be rusted ? its made out of rubber...on 2nd Gen anyways.... are you talking about the head gasket ? or the exhaust manifold one ?

You can buy gaskets from Fellpro for a few bucks....around 10 $

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Diane said:
You know, valve cover gaskets are not that much, why on earth would you want to get one off another old car?
...Because I misread thinking he wanted a valve cover.
Really, I had my glasses on. I did!

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
I bought a $40 corkboard valve cover gasket and it leaked right away. It did not have a lip on it to fit into the groove in the valve cover.

Thus, I recommend reusing the rubber ones.

Just a little experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts