FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone.

A few quick problems/questions for anyone that might know. ('97 lx, 110k, 5 spd)

First of all, the idle surges on me. Not all the time, and its not severe. I can tell sitting in the drivers seat, and you can sometimes tell standing near the car. At first I thought it was a vacuum leak due to the PCV valve (I used the little screwdriver to the ear trick) and could hear it cycling at idle. So, I put a zip tie on the hose coming out of it to seal the connection, and it seemed to help some. But now it still happens. Any ideas where to look? And could it be the TPS?

The second is that I am getting some noise from the front drivers side wheel. It only occurs at speed, anything over about 30 mph. I know the wheel/tire isnt out of balance, because I just put on a set of snow tires that were newly balanced. (Now the tires create more road noise, but the car noise is still there) I did recently replace my own pads and rotors, but didnt notice the noise right away then. (I was probably too busy figuring out how to work the new breaks that now actually stopped the car) But if a break rotor is the problem here, then how do you fix that?

My third and final question for the evening regards the backup lights. I noticed that in reverse I have nothing for lights, so I did some probing and found out the switch in the transmission is gone. Its 53 bucks for a new one, plus I have to drain and fill the tranny to put the damn thing in. Does anyone know/have they just installed a toggle switch for the lights? Or should I just pony up the cash and do it?

The only reason I ask all this is because if its a quick fix I'll take care of it. Otherwise I think its time for a trip down the street to the local mechanic.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help!!

~Bug

·
Registered
15,393 Posts
Clarkbug said:
My third and final question for the evening regards the backup lights. I noticed that in reverse I have nothing for lights, so I did some probing and found out the switch in the transmission is gone. Its 53 bucks for a new one, plus I have to drain and fill the tranny to put the damn thing in. Does anyone know/have they just installed a toggle switch for the lights? Or should I just pony up the cash and do it?
I would go to the junkyard and get another switch and then to the auto parts store for a transmission filter change kit and some fluid. At 100K you probably need that anyway. You should be able to do all of this yourself and even with the part, the filter kit and fluid, it probably won't cost $53. Are you sure the switch is gone of just fell off?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I have the 5 speed, so I dont think there is a tranny filter for the thing. I am pretty sure that the switch is the culprit, as I got ahold of the factory shop manual and went through the list of what happens when the lights dont work. IT told me that the switch was bad, so I just assumed thats what it was.

If you know where I can get a switch cheaper, I would love to know because I havent found it cheaper anywhere (aside from doing the junkyard thing) than that price. I suppose I could go just wrench one out of a junker, if I can find one.

Any idea if I can use one out of a 2nd gen? Or am I limited to a '97 model?

Thanks again

~Bug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts