FEOA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 SE 2.0 SOHC. Car would run fine at all speeds when cold, once normal op temp is reached car starts to knock at all speeds, idle,acceleration deceleration. listened with stetho and knock seemed louder on top end, thought collasped lifter, 90k miles on motor. So retarded me changes all lifters,knock still there when reaches normal temp.Next day go to do a compression test,crank motor and there is a loud clacking, grinding noise. Now I think when car was warm the expansion on head was letting seat to slip and cause knock. Any help or sugestions would be greatly appreciated. :eek: :evil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will be doing that today,keeping my fingers crossed that no lower end damage occured.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh man.. that sucks. I'm planning on swapping out my head for a rebuilt. Hoping to hold out another year or so, I'm at 106k mi now. No funny noises, but I figure the peace of mind and the new cam and valves is worth the $300.

Good luck, hope you have it back up soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wa1dh if you can do it for 300.00 you might not want to wait to long. I live in Hawaii and shipping KILLS, no cheap thrills here, cylinder head express quoted 88.00 bucks one way and another 88.00 or 106.00 for core. You guys sitting down ? Local ford dealer wants 207.60 for one piston no rings.Went to ebay and ordered set of edm pistons with rings 139.00. Local machine shop reman head from Alabama cylinder heads 511.00.
Ouch.. ouch..ffffn...ouch :evil:

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
As long as the piston is still in one peice, you can run it. People slap new heads on these motor all the time after a valve drop. It's not the best way to do it, but you have to keep in mind were talking about a $1000-2000 econo box.

Just clean all the peices of the seat out (dont forget to clean out the intake mani and all the EGR hoeses) and drop on a reman/salvaged/rebuilt head. I would'nt want to waste my time & money with rehone & rod bearings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And if I did it your way I would be running #4 with a impacted/frozen top compression ring.Your time and your money is your concern but not mine, and you are a moderator ?lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
Since you're this far in, might as well pull the oil pan and have a look at the rotating assembly from underneath. When i dealt with this, i went ahead and replaced two pistons and re-ringed the other two as well as a bit of cylinder honing across all four.

If you're still shopping for a head, J&C gets my thumbs up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts