FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my vaf is giving me problems...i popped the top black piece off of the vaf and looked at all the wires...it seems as if everything is plugged in right...but the car will only idle for about 4 seconds and then shut off...i hit the throttle the car dies...any ideas?

· Registered
5,164 Posts
Are you running a stock intake hose? These engines don't like unmetered air. If it is cracked or broken it can cause problems. Is the VAF the stock U code? If it wasn't messed with, I wouldn't suspect it right away, they rarely fail.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah dude stock U code vaf...factory air hose...i popped it open..and the two prongs after the bronze prong looks as if they have been messed with..the metal they lay on is broken..i popped open the top and pulled out pieces of the metal that the prongs lay on...i start the car it idles i give it throttle and it dies...only idles briefly...

· Registered
5,164 Posts
Are you referring to these prongs?

The solder is there and breakage is ok, they still make contact without the solder unless bent. Did you have to cut the silicone to open it or had it been tampered with?

Is the contact circled in blue staying closed when running? It needs to be closed to run the fuel pump relay.

· Registered
771 Posts
now you thank yourself for not buying another u-code, then you buy a b-code or make a k-code and listen to the ponies :)

· Registered
5,164 Posts
That arm you circled is only to cut the fuel pump when engine isn't pulling air into it through the VAF. With my K code, that contact is always closed and pump energizes when in "run", no big deal. I would still check the tube carefully, squeeze it looking for cracks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.