FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered something important regarding rear brake drums . With me being a novice , i always try to do things myself , i enjoy the hands on approach . I am always learning new things about the vehicals i drive . Of all the things i have replaced on my car over the last year concerning the brakes and not having enough power , were all due to the rear brake drums , they were not put on the right way . The drums only go on one way and one way only meaning the holes must line up correctly with the studs otherwise the hub will not turn freely , it should slide over the shoes without any force . After i did that the car drove perfect .

One other thing i need to mention , don't use low octane fuel , i switched to high octane and it made all the differance in performance .

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it sounds crazy ! but that is just the case for my car . Well on any other car i have had in the past , mostly Toyota's you can put them on without really looking at it , i don't know exactly what's going on but i tried each of the four ways it can go on , but will only go on one way , otherwise the whole thing won't move. I hope i'm making it somewhat clear . I just wonder if anyone else had this delema .

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for mentioning that the drums could be out of round , i never thought about that . I believe that is what is wrong with mine . I ordered new drums and shoes today . I didn't know there are two sizes for drums 8" and 9" mine requires the 9" . I wonder why that is ? See , i'm always learning something new .

· Registered
5,164 Posts
EscorGo said:
You have to clock them to re-use the screws. I never understood why 'scorts have them to begin with. Just another thing to rust up and break (not brake)
There are only there to hold the drums on as it on the assembly line, other than that, they are pointless.

The drums may not have gone on easy because the shoes could have been adjusted out too far, or just plain in bad alignment to fit in the drum. If the drum were out of round enough to make it not go on, then you would feel it. Unadjust the shoes slightly, slide on drum, install screws or 2 lugs to hold drum true to hub face and adjust rear shoes to have a light drag on drum after a few pumps of pedal to true everything up. Do not push pedal while drums are off, you will blow the plungers out of the wheel cylinders; they should be dry BTW. Having the rears adjusted up properly will give you a higher/tighter brake pedal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.