FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back the trunk/hatch lock cylinder stopped turning but I didn't think much of it as I could always open it with the inside popper. However I would like to get it fixed. I know how to remove the lock cylinder, but does anybody know how to take it apart as I would like to clean up any corrosion that may be in there. I know about replacing the whole cylinder assembly but I would rather not have mismatched keys if I don't have to. - Peter

· BYO Plastic cutlery
9,870 Posts
sometimes a new key does the trick. The key wears away and can't push the tumblers far enough. I don't know if it's your problem but maybe it is??
If you have a 2nd key that doesn't see much service, try it. If it works then that's the problem.

· Super Moderator
6,216 Posts
try madbrad's idea, or try some WD40 or graphite to make it easier to work.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 4 keys for the car and none of them work in the trunk lock cylinder but they all work in the front door locks and the ignition cylinder. I did apply a quite liberal application of WD-40 and nothing. I think something inside broke or corroded up, but wont know until I can pop it open to check. Or at least be able to transfer the tumblers to the new lock if I have to go that way, hence why I would like to know how to disassemble the lock cylinder. - Peter

· Super Moderator
6,216 Posts
to disassemble the lock you have to remove the collar on the outside where you put the key in. then you will have to have a locksmith put a new one on.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
Have you tried PB Blaster?

· Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1997 LX wagon.

You have to get the hatch or trunk open (mine was a bit of a trick because the lock prevented the pull rod & power actuator to unlock the mechanism, I finally got into it by being tenacious). Once the hatch is open, take off the panel and pull away the plastic film to get into the hatch cavity.

Then, there is a wide flat clip that you have to pull out sideways. I used a long broad screwdriver and a hammer and tapped it from behind. Once that is off the lock body can come right out. Carefully unclip it from the rod and it's out.

Now here's my question: where can I get a replacement lock cylinder???

The locksmith didn't have one, then the jobber store didn't have anything, Rockauto.com didn't have it, nor did the dealership and in fact the guy told me that part was only available as part of a collection of 1 ignition lock body, 2 door lock bodies, and 1 hatch lock body; but it had been discontinued.

????

So now what? Auto wrecker or something?

Any help greatly appreciated.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
A junkyard would probably be your best bet if you can find a car with the keys in it. If you want the same key then just take all the lock cylinders from the junk car.

I just had an idea though, there is this rust stripper stuff that eats the rust off metal. What if you were to remove the lock cylinder and soak it in the rust remover for an hour? It could remove the rust inside and free the cylinder up. What do you have to loose? The lock is already broken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.