FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figured I would do a simple hub replacement because it was making some noise. Started off fighting the screws on the drum. Next the hub asembly seems to be frozen in place so I took a small puller to it and it popped without too much pressure. I am guessing the bearing over heated and pretty much welded the inner race to the axle stub. Fast forward a couple hours to where I am wishing I pulled this in the garage to work instead of the driveway. I opted to remove the rear asembly but I am stuck on the lower bolt that holds everything together on the bottom. I have stuck a nice sized breaker bar on it and slapped it with a 2.5# hammer. Anyone ever have to fight this thing out? I am thinking heat and a sledge but I am sure I'll end up breaking something else in the process.

· Super Moderator
10,547 Posts
I dont know if you are talking about one of the bolts that hold the brake backing plate to the spindle, or if you are talking about the bolt holding the trailing arm to the spindle, or the bolt where the lateral suspension arm connects to the spindle. But if those gave me grief I would be pulling my oxy-acetylene set over to the car to help free things up. I would also be using penetrating oil on it if I had the time to let it soak. Heating parts of the spindle is something I would do carefully, as it probably is partly heat treated.
I dont have any impact wrench (or rather I dont have a compressor) or I would try that on those bolts/nuts.

· Premium Member
372 Posts
I'm guessing it's probably the "foot-long" bolts that hold the lateral link to the spindle that are giving you grief. When I bought a junkyard rear disc brake set-up, they just sawed or broke the nut off and left the bolts in the spindles...I was finally able to get them out with a combination of penetrating oil, heat and a 4-lb sledge...I concentrated the heat at the area of the bolt where it passes through the spindle bosses...they did eventually come out cleanly, but it took a while and it was done in the luxury of the garage...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.