FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Just brought a new (to me) 1998 ZX2 for my daughter. Little car runs good @130k but the automatic transmission is DOA. Fluid is blacker then used engine oil and comes with the complementary burnt smell that stinks up the whole shop.
Bought a factory shop manual for it off of eBay but won’t be here for a few days.
Never had the privilege of working on a front wheel drive trans axle so forgive me if this is a dumb question but can the trans axle be changed with out pulling the engine?
Great web site I am sure I will be reading it often.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
yes, it can be removed without taking the whole engine out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I actually started to make a how-to video for ATX and MTX replacement. Then my computer crashed and took the 22 hours of work I spent on the video with it.

A good jack is a must. You can do this alone but only if you have a really good jack or you can bench 400 pounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man a video would have been sweet! I think my ATV jack will work, its not as good as a real transmission jack but it will do.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
The couple FWD cars I've worked on doing a clutch repair, I think it's about as easy or easier just taking the engine out and working that way. But I have a cherry picker, so that may be why I think that. You do a lot of wrestling leaving the engine in. I'm sure you'll get some arguments here saying otherwise, but I'll bet most don't have the equipment to pull the engine.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It is certainly easier to do tranny work in the ATX with the engine out. But, if it was a MTX, it would be easier to leave the engine in. The overall cost of doing it engine out is a bit higher and might take a couple hours longer, but it is less physically demanding to take the engine out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.