FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright now i need help with my tranny... for starters i need to know the general area to look for the dipstick for the tranny fluid. I think fluid levels might be part of my problem not to sure. The problem goes as followes, up untill recently it was kinda hard to get it to engage into first sort of like it just didnt want to go in (it also did this into reverse). Then sometimes when i would slam second it would find a slot but then i would get back on the gas and VVVAaaarrrRRRROOOOMMM. It acted like it was in neutral and when i would try to take it out it was stuck so i would have to hit it forward to get it unstuck. I noticed it also grinded into fourth sometimes, this happened sporaticly (sp?) so i could not tell you when at first i though it was when i was doing about 40 and i would go into fourth but it happens at all different speeds i have noticed. I have been told maybe it was an adjustment in the clutch but i dont know how in the heck to do that. ANY advice would be great thanks

·
Registered
911 Posts
hehe...nope..say bye bye to that tranny...

if it was problems with your clutch, it would a) constanty grind b) your brakes would be shiotty because they run off the same master cylinder.

See, when my tranny went out....i had the same problem....i couldnt get it in gear and when i could, it would be stuck...that is caused by a piece of metal gettin lodged into the shifing guide.. And when u said u heard the grinding, thats you pushing that piece of metal or w/e out of the way to get into gear.

My suggestion is to get it into the shop ASAP before its too late....See i had the warning signs and it went away after 2 days... then 2 weeks later, bam, i had no gears and a huge tranny fluid streak underneath my car and down the road....

btw, to check the fluid its toward the firewall and its actually the same place as the VSS(vehicle speed sensor)

·
Registered
911 Posts
hehe...nope..say bye bye to that tranny...

if it was problems with your clutch, it would a) constanty grind b) your brakes would be shiotty because they run off the same master cylinder.

See, when my tranny went out....i had the same problem....i couldnt get it in gear and when i could, it would be stuck...that is caused by a piece of metal gettin lodged into the shifing guide.. And when u said u heard the grinding, thats you pushing that piece of metal or w/e out of the way to get into gear.

My suggestion is to get it into the shop ASAP before its too late....See i had the warning signs and it went away after 2 days... then 2 weeks later, bam, i had no gears and a huge tranny fluid streak underneath my car and down the road....

btw, to check the fluid its toward the firewall and its actually the same place as the VSS(vehicle speed sensor)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
b) your brakes would be shiotty because they run off the same master cylinder.
They use fluid from the same reservoir... that doesn't mean that contaminated fluid in the lines of one system will affect the other. It's possible.. but it's never a given.

My tranny gets stuck in 5th gear, but has been doing that for the last 100k miles.

I agree though.. get it checked out.. if nothing else.. change out the fluid and inspect the fluid that comes out for any chunks of metal (there will be shavings).

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thanks i believe my tranny could be shot because when i got the car, well a couple of things. The people we got it from their teenage son drove it and the people they got it from was the same situation. well when we got it it had different wheels (if you havent seen it or dont remember it here it is http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/v ... _id=357866 ) well it also came with the 4 stocks in the trunk and two of them obviously the fronts were warn clear down (to the radial i believe? Im no tire guy and i have really no idea what i am talking about so dont flip sh** when you catch me saying something dumb about tires) and then the rears which have lioke 3/4 of the life left. so i can tell its been abused but i i was just hoping... oh well, I fgure its to late to get this fixed b/c it did this when we got it and ive had it like 2 months now driving hard and all so ill just be on the lookout for a good gt tranny. Also ive (like i said the gt tranny) got the LX-E with the 1.8L and in the chiltons book it only gives a pic of the 1.9L dipstick and i kinda looked already and couldnt find it are they in the same place? and it is on the tranny itself RIGHT? Im not dumb i have done tranny work myself (17 yr old) i have done a clutch in a caviler and helped replace a tranny in a 86 GTI but i cannot find this stupid dipstick thanks

·
Registered
911 Posts
FordBoy4ever said:
Also ive (like i said the gt tranny) got the LX-E with the 1.8L and in the chiltons book it only gives a pic of the 1.9L dipstick and i kinda looked already and couldnt find it are they in the same place? and it is on the tranny itself RIGHT? Im not dumb i have done tranny work myself (17 yr old) i have done a clutch in a caviler and helped replace a tranny in a 86 GTI but i cannot find this stupid dipstick thanks
there actually is no "dipstick" persay for the 1.8 manual tranny...

the VSS is the sensor that goes into the tranny case that controls your speedo...

its easy to spot. Remove your air intake hoses and look on the back of the transmission. You will see a black plug w/ a black cable going into the tranny... This is your "dipstick".

Another thing...Ford's manual tranny is designed so under normal wear and tear conditions will never have to have a fluid drain since it doesnt use the conventional mtf fluid, rather ATF dexon II fluid..

Now, if you open up that tranny VSS, if you feel in there and either cant feel fluid at all or get fluid w/ metal "sparklys" then ya gots problems...

when i go my warning signs, i had actually broke the inside of the case causing the transaxle and the transmission to be joined together directly...this caused metal chunks to get lodged into the gears and what not....then when it finally went out, a piece went out the side of the transaxle just below the VSS and a piece went through the bell housing....

So i had fluid streak on road an under my car, and the remaining fluid went into the bellhousing drowning my clutch and flywheel...making a 0% grab so i couldnt even move my car but about 100 ft every hour or so...u try getting home a bout a half mile away from ur house w/ a busted tranny, not fun and definately NOT worth the risk of driving on it..

Now if it was ur clutch, you'd smell something burning and u'd also hear grinding in every gear; and it definately wouldnt be hard to get it out of gear..

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah, sounds to me like the tranny is done. Get it to a tranny shop, and see what they want to fix it. I would rather rebuilt 10 manual trannys than 1 automatic. Once you get parts estimates you can decide if you want to do it yourself, pay someone to do it, or not do it at all.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Oh I got an idea. lets remove the windows, dash, steering wheel, tires, front suspension assembly, oh and that pesky rack and pinion too. There's probably about 1000 lbs right there. Then all you'd need to do is put the rims on cinderblocks and push the car down hill to go somewhere.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
92gt5spd said:
i had actually broke the inside of the case causing the transaxle and the transmission to be joined together directly...this caused metal chunks to get lodged into the gears and what not....then when it finally went out, a piece went out the side of the transaxle just below the VSS and a piece went through the bell housing..
Since I'm apparently the largest cockhole in the world :) , can you tell me how you managed to get a transmission into your engine compartment, and then fuse it to your transaxle?
(side note - i'm just giving you a hard time, please do not kill me)

James - The festiva didn't have a dash when it was finally towed away, as a matter of fact.. :)

But yea, i agree with 92gt5spd, you need to shop around and try to get it fixed asap, so you're not stuck without a ride for a week and end up getting raped cuz you're in a hurry to get it done, because it will need to be replaced. Soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.