FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I eventually want to do an engine swap, but I'll be realistic, that's not gonna happen any time soon. What I am interested in at the moment though is can I swap the GT tranny into my LX. I would really like a 5 speed back, but I only have an auto right now. I know I will need this GT tranny when I do my engine swap, so I figure this will be a start. If I do this, how difficult will it be, and will I need any extra parts??? Would you guys recommend buying a rebuilt from NAPA (or an equivalent) or trying to find one at a junk yard?

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
waste of time. buy a gt tranny and then get the 1.8L you want to bolt to it later. you would need to change to much on the 1.8L tranny to make it cost effective.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the 1.9L and the GT tranny don't match up too well???

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
ive got a protege motor i can ship to you for approx 400 dollars (same as the gt motor) with "180 compression across the board" if your interested hit me up and ill fill ya in on why the 180 is in quotation marks. basically if it works id like to get what i paid for it (350) and dependant on where you are i can ship it throught saia motor freight for anwhere from 50-150 dollars so lmk. if you got a tranny from a junk yard youd PROBABLY do best to pull it from a totaled car. simply because a totaled car obvioulsy means the tranny was working. but either way alot of places will give you a warranty with a tranny you should be fine any way you go, i have a junk yard tranny in my car right now works just fine.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I wish I could take it right now, but I don't have the money yet, I was wondering about the tranny because I am saving up for something, and I don't wanna buy something that isn't gonna work! I'll keep it in mind, cause my work looks like I'm gonna be makin some decent money soon, so I could save up that much possibly in 2 weeks and still get my regular pay (they have some really cool things that I just stand there for 15 mins and get like $26 while some guy takes apart an ATM, and there'll be a lot of them with the Christmas season coming)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts