FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, unfortunatly I have to drive an automatic at the moment - I would love it if my car was a standard, but there's no cheap way of getting that (and if there is, please correct me)! But I was wondering, while I'm driving, is it going to hurt my car if I switch from Drive to overdrive when I'm on the fly or vice versa???

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Not really. Overdrive is an "electrical/fluid shift" verses a mechanical shift. Basicall when the tranny computer decides to shift into OD it throws power to the torque converter lock soloenoid and the fluid in the torqe converter provides a solid lock. If you're in D you interrupt this electrical signal. All you're doing when shifting from D to OD is if the tranny computer has told the torque converter to lock, you're completing the electrical connection to the lock solenoid.

The easiest way to drive is just to leave it in OD and learn the natural shift points of the tranny.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I leave my cars in"drive" on back roads or in town where speeds generally don't go over 50 mph. When I know I'll be going 55 and up, then I use overdrive. Also I only shift into drive and overdrive under acceleration or standing still. I don't downshift the car to slow down, rather I downshift the car for more power on a hill. I'd rather have stick shift, but wagons with stick and cruise control are hard to find.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that D uses less gas at low speeds, but OD uses less gas at high speeds, am I correct here?

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Ignatz said:
I leave my cars in"drive" on back roads or in town where speeds generally don't go over 50 mph. When I know I'll be going 55 and up, then I use overdrive. Also I only shift into drive and overdrive under acceleration or standing still. I don't downshift the car to slow down, rather I downshift the car for more power on a hill. I'd rather have stick shift, but wagons with stick and cruise control are hard to find.
You would save a lot more gas is you used OD. The torque converter locks up at about 35-40 mi/h if you drive normally. Shifting into OD for acceleration is usesless. Doesn't do a thing other than wear out your shifter. Overdrive is not some magical gear. All it does is lock up the torque converter while cruising to save gas. Doesn't do a thing for acceleration because that's done with the torque converter unlocked.

BTW: For those that do, trying to shift an Auto like a manual is usually the quickest way to kill your tranny.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Even though I'm no auto tranny expert, I've learned that automatic transmissions are a lot like cats. They cost more, they're lazy, and even if you try to tell them to do something, they just do their own thing anyways. For example, if you shift an automatic transmission into "1" when you're going 55, it simply waits until you get down to a speed where it can engage it.

I like my manual transmission. It does what I tell it to do. Kind of like my dog. Maybe I should introduce the two.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yea I definetly wouldn't try to pretend I have a manual LOL! I've never even used D, but I remembered someone telling me that OD used less gas. I always wondered if that were true. I wouldn't know the first thing to do without an automatic. That's probably cuz I've never been around stick shifts. I can see how people could like it better.

I am curious, and I'm sure this is one of the big downsides to an automatic. What does it mean when you go to accelerate harder than your car is ready for and the engine whines? I've had this happen a few times over the years and a couple times it felt like the car would almost stop and then jump up to the speed I was shooting for.

The RPM's would go to about 3 or 4 and like always I'm in OD when this happens. It sounds and feels like I've done something awful lol. What do I hurt in that situation? It's caused when my road rage gets sparked, I try to control that but you know how it is sometimes.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's better to hurt the car though than someone else during road rage!!! My friend's stepdad apparently put a tire iron through some guys window when he tried to run him and his kids into oncoming traffic because he did not want to lose a streetrace to his friend (he followed him untill the next traffic light and it was red). Apparently these 2 kids were racing from streetlight to streetlight in Hamilton or Burlington (here in Ontario) at night.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
siragan said:
For example, if you shift an automatic transmission into "1" when you're going 55, it simply waits until you get down to a speed where it can engage it.
That's so you don't blow the frigging thing up :p

If you learn the shift points/habits of the tranny at various rpm and learn to control the gas pedal properly you can actually almost get a responsive gearbox out of it. You can get it to shift nice and smoothly when cruising, and get nice and hard shifts when accelerating hard. I'm not perfect yet, but I can usually get it to upshift, downshift, or keep it in the same gear anytime I want it to.

Matt 8)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yea I hear what your sayin bout knowin when it shifts. I know the habits and noises of my car so well it's ridiculous. It's just when I get pissed ya know, I'm not thinkin bout my cars habits LOL! I'm a leo what can I say! So on a few occasions and I really mean only a few my car has taken the brunt of it. Normally I control myself cuz my car is important to me.

So what you're saying is the car is protecting itself from me hurting it, and I haven't actually hurt anything? Can ya drop a transmission like that? What exactly happens when ya drop a trans? I think I have a fear of damaging either my engine or trans. I know both mean bye bye car.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Yes, if you're doing 140km/hr and drop it to L, the tranny will wait until you slow down to a speed that's "safe" for it to operate in L before it actually shifts down. I've never tried it to that extent, but the tranny does have this built in "protection."

Matt 8)

·
Registered
112 Posts
hhmmm I think I was refering to the opposite direction of speed. From stop to say oh tryin to reach 45 too quick for the car. We are talkin bout an automatic right? So I'm tryin to accelerate and the car hasn't had time to switch gears so the engine whines, and a couple times when I was really ticked it would kind of stop and then jump up to speed. What is happening in that situation and does it do any damage to the engine or trans? Ya probably answered this but I think I've gotten lost and confused between the stick and auto convos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
autos can get stuck between gears and just rev out- its made up of a series of clutch packs for the gears so its like the clutch slipping on a standard. might be signs of the trans on the way out. often its torque converter, otherwise the clutch packs. clutch packs generally go because the car's been driven in the wrong gear. its a common misconception that overdrive is more economic therefore you should always drive in it... it actually overheats the clutch pack for the top gear which is small and its like you've done a clutch in a standard trans. you'll probably be able to keep it going for a while longer by being nice to it- i mean by using the gears as you drive, keeping the box cool and happy. dont forget autos arent meant to be quick shifters, you can usually find the gear, learn where it wants to change etc, but sometimes it might slip. ease right off, pick the gear again and keep going.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hmmm well dang lol. I hope it's not the trans, but then again it did this a couple times when it was very young too (it's 10yrs old). Dunno if you read all that's on this growing post, but it has only happened about 5 times in my cars entire life and only twice has it done the stop and jump thing. I don't know if that helps in identifing what it's doing. I hope these few times of me being stupid haven't hurt anything too badly.

What is the torque converter? When is it best to use OD and best to use D? How bout the lower gears of 1 and 2, gosh can't remember if there's a 3 on there too lol. How do the lower gears effect things? I'm new to this site too and don't know much about cars so I have a lot of questions. It's fun thou, have had a good time finding out the answers. Welcome to Feoa glad to have ya and thanks so much for your input :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
heck no LOL! First off I don't want a manual and second it ain't broke so why fix/change it lol. I've learned something about my car, it prefers not to be messed with. I do have cruise control thou :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts