FEOA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just got done going through the whole process involved with changing my clutch, I got it all back together and now the transmission will only go into 1st, 3rd and 5th but not 2nd, 4th or reverse. Anybody got any ideas or run into this before?

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
Is it the same tranny that was in it before? Does it go into those gears ever, or while moving or sitting still? Try realigning the shift linkage. Does the clutch disengage properly? Was it installed properly?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh it's the same tranny, it worked fine before(except clutch that's why I had to replace it), I tried it with the car running, turned off, driving, nothing. Everything was re-installed properly and the clutch disengages fine. How do I realign the linkage?

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
I always loosened the 4 bolts holding it up underneath, and then get in the car to shift through the gears. If that doesn't work, try playing with other gears to get it to go into the one you want. Sometimes I have to put my car in 4th before it goes into Reverse. But I think it's an alignment problem since you can't get it in the back three slots.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mean the bolts right under the shifter it self? If it an alignment problem I've just got to loosen those bolts and work it around until it gets in there right or do I need to disconnect the linkage from the tranny as well?

·
Registered
7,066 Posts
No, make sure the linkage is properly torqued, and that you can find no kinks in the tubing. They might be subtle, but are noticeable. Yeah, the four bolts that hold up the funky looking bracketing for the shifter itself. loosen those, move the shifter about. Make sure the clutch is in so there's no undue stress when moving the shifter about.

If that doesn't help, see about slightly loosening and re-tightening the tranny mounts. If that still doesn't help, you might have bent the linkage by accident when replacing the clutch, or else a bushing/pivot finally wore out completely.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks, I'll give it a shot tomorrow, (because it's too damn hot right now - 101) and I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I be damned, it really was that simple. It's a little "stiffer" going into the gears, but a little more tweaking and it should be perfect. THANKS Unexploded Cow, your awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.