FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the transmmission swapped in my GT. A local Phoenix area engine shop called Japanese Engine Works that has nothing but used low mileage engines and transmissions had one with only 35K on it. I paid $950 out the door for parts, labor, warranty, and everything which after doing a lot of shopping around, was a pretty good price. The scort drives like a brand new car! :D :D :D Now I'm off to my farorite muffler shopt to have that blown out cat swapped out so I can pass emissions :D .

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Trannies make ALL the difference in GTs.

I know this sounds naieve, but you can really tell the condition of the car almost by the transmission alone. I've yet to see a GT engine wear out before the tranny did.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what the shop owner told me. He confirmed what you all said about those GT trannys. I guess that they just don't always last like they should, but that Mazda engine will probably outlast the rest of the car.

·
Registered
710 Posts
That's what bugged me so bad when my tranny died last month. It only had 91k miles. I KNEW the engine could go well into the 200s with proper care and maintenance.

Replaced my bad tranny with a j/y job costing $450, plus $490 installation with a new driver's side axle. Total cost $1200.

Good to hear you're back on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts