FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my trans i toast. i have been having problems keeping fluid in it the past summer and it went empty on me. usually it gives me signs its low, like third gear would slip out. but this time no warning, it just made a heck of a grinding noise and now i can not put it in first or second gear. i thought i had fixed the problem but it must have been still leaking since i put 3.5 quarts in it today hoping the gears would free up. basically i am sure its garbage but i was wandering how much this is gonna cost me. i was wandering if it would be wise to get a used one or a rebuilt one. i want to get it on the road as fast as possible for the least amount. would the bone yard be a cheap alternative. i never delt with anything other than body panels at the yard so i don't know if this is a good idea. also how much am i looking at paying for one, yard or rebuilt. i guess i also should put a new clutch in it too. any of you gear heads could give me some idea of what i am going to pay for one. thanks

· Registered
1,545 Posts
gluehead said:
just wanted to know how much you people have paid out for a manual tranny or tranny and installation. or is it safe to get one from a yard
I never bought one - I would guess you could get a decent one from a yard for less than a few hundred bucks. I'm sure someone on the board has a tranny they pulled from another car. I know some have swapped tranny/engine/electronics so someone should be able to give you a decent estimate. Of course it all depends on the guy at the yard - sometimes I can get some really good deals and sometimes it's crazy what they want for nothing.

· Registered
209 Posts
Martinarcher, what junkyards do you frequent? Have you been to the foreign car junkyard in Portersville? It has tons of protege's and a few junked RX7's.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
xSwiggerx said:
Martinarcher, what junkyards do you frequent? Have you been to the foreign car junkyard in Portersville? It has tons of protege's and a few junked RX7's.
Yeah, Wagner's Foreign, I bought the pusher fans for my turbo project there - too bad I can't use them. They do have a pile cars of the Mazda variety. :lol:

· Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, Wagner's is the only descent junkyard I've ever been to. All the rest are really crappy U-pulls where they basically just roll cars down a hill and park them there. The cars basically become part of the land if you don't grab parts quickly.

· Registered
1,545 Posts
xSwiggerx said:
Yeah, Wagner's is the only descent junkyard I've ever been to. All the rest are really crappy U-pulls where they basically just roll cars down a hill and park them there. The cars basically become part of the land if you don't grab parts quickly.
Haha - yeah actually I got one of my headlight after I spotted the plug sticking out of the mud at another junkyard. The good thing was the mud protected it from yellowing and it looks brand new after I gave it a bath.

Wagner's is a good junkyard - the cars are actually organized and grouped by make and model and usually even year. I have found they can be a little steep on price though. I guess thats what you pay for not having to take a shovel to the yard with you. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.