FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have NO idea what I did wrong, but trans fluid is spewing out of the VSS. I changed the trans fluid the other day, re-filled it with 3.5 quarts. Ever since, it's been spewing out from the VSS, and leaving puddles all over (and of course, rust-proofing the bottom of my car).

WTF did I d wrong? It's too hot right now to check much out, as I just got back from some errands, but what could be wrong? It's full seated (I think, it's past the o-ring thats for sure) and the bracket is in place and bolted down holding it in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
therieldeal said:
did you check the level or just dump in the oil and go? i'm betting its overfilled.
I dumped 3.5 quarts in and went. From what I read here, it's damn near impossible to check the level on these cars?? So, if it's overfilled, should I A: drain some, or B: let it continue to spew till it finds it's happy place and leave it alone??

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
therieldeal said:
you use the speedo sender as the dipstick. the level should be at the top edge of the plastic gear IIRC.
/\ yeah that. It may be stuck but with a little patience it does come out. Don't force and break it. At this point you could draw the excess fluid from the hole until the sensor shows the correct level.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Getting the sensor out is cake, ti's brand new, and the old one came out with ease as well. So, how much fluid is SUPPOSED to be in these damn transmissions with a drain/fill? I've seen 3 numbers so far.....

At this rate, I can't wait to have another BMW next year.... This i the 3rd thing I've had to deal with on this car that is such a piss poor design.

·
Registered
886 Posts
kendogg said:
I think I'm just going to continue to let it spew out for the time being and let it find it's happy medium.
IIRC, it takes 5.3 pints. Better to draw a bit out or drain a bit than to let it spew. The internal pressure could take out or significantly shorten the life of your axle seals....

HTH!

C ya,
Dutch

·
Registered
750 Posts
these capacities are from the '95 service manual:
1.8-5 speed takes 3.3 quarts
1.9-5 speed takes 2.83 quarts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.