FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, check out the last two pics on my Webshots site:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rallywhitegt It's the album called RallyWhiteGT. (If the pics don't show, it's because Webshots requires 30 minutes to perform picture updates. So should be available 30 minutes after the time on this post).

Last two pictures show how my rear trailing links connect to the spindles. Driver's side has shifted, I don't know how or when. You can see that there's a dramatic difference between driver/passenger sides.

My questions: First, what would cause such a shift?

...and second, would this cause the vehicle to want to dart to the right?

I've gone all over the car, checking bushings, tie-rods, other bushings, replaced the struts all around etc etc etc. This was the only problem I could find, loosened the bolt and reset the link best I could, then tightened back up. Vehicle still exhibits an odd handling problem. Frame is straight and true. Could this cause the wander? I'm having it re-aligned tomorrow, been several months so it's about time for a follow-up.

Anybody have experience with this? I love the car, but this has been a nagging problem for so long I'm seriously considering parting with the thing. But I just can't thinking there's an easy fix in here somewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had it aligned this morning (only took 3.5 hours-shop was busy!). Left front was toed-in and right front was toed-out, so essentially both wheels pointing right. Had it aligned not 5 months ago and it's out again. I drive on bad roads coming into work (Richmond) so maybe it's just the sh*tty roads causing my troubles.

I was able to temporarily correct the trailing link problem. Shop indicated that it wouldn't affect alignment, but would cause sloppiness in the rear. So even though I've 'fixed' it, probably ought to get replacements bushings and take care of both sides later on.

They did a full inspection on the suspension bits however and declared it sound for the age of the vehicle. I'm pleased. It always used to feel like something was about to let go. Good to know nothing's wrong.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I'm resurrecting this old post. Are the trailing links supposed to be able to move sideways? From what I can tell, their movement is limited to up and down with the rear spindle travel. Think my driver's side trailing link is wobbling, causing wander.

I'm about ready to ditch the whole car.[/b]

·
Registered
160 Posts
So you finally got the alignment and other work done you were planning on and it still wanders, huh? Im having some issues as well and will be looking into it soon. Im replacing the tires and will be installing camber kits and getting an alignment. Im also considering new poly bushings around the front end as well as new tie-rod ends.......again. I also need to find a way to get stronger rear sway bar brackets as I keep breaking them with the 1" swaybar in place. The front upper strut tower bearings will also be coming out as the car is getting terribly hard to keep on the road now. I just cant keep the wheel straight at all without a great amount of effort half the time.
As for the trailing links, I just dont know how those are supposed to be setup....I'll do some asking around though. I work with an ex mechanic who is pretty sharp. Let me know if you find anything else though...Id be grateful to hear what the problem is.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my checking around under the car I have found that my front strut bar endlinks and frame mounts are completely frozen. In fact, I took a hacksaw to the driver's side endlink assembly, cut it completely in half and the hardware refused to come out. It's like the bolts/bushings are bonded to the swaybar now. I'm going to soak them in PB Blaster to get them off, maybe a hammer and a lot of swearing too. Whatever it takes. Going to order the poly kit from ZXTuner. DirtyJim - have you checked your swaybar hardware? Maybe that's causing some of your issues....

In cutting one end link and removing the other, in essence disconnecting the front strut bar, I found that the car has considerably less wander. Perhaps that's the problem. My car spent most of its life 3 blocks from the beach so I've got some serious salt corrosion going on that I'll have to correct.

If replacing the swaybar hardware doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to scream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.