FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed this noise, and when I investigated I found that a piece of the rear suspension had snapped and the noise was the two now separate pieces rubbing together. I didn't know what it was called at first, but using Haynes I found out it was called a 'trailing arm' or 'trailing link'. Autozone doesn't carry these, and when I called the dealer they said a new one would be $82! Seems really expensive.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to find a cheaper replacement. I know there's always the JY, but I figured those would probably just be rusty as well. Also, how serious is it to just not replace it? I removed the broken pieces of course so that it's not making noise. The car doesn't really seem to be handling much differently under normal driving conditions. I did see some on e-bay, but the guy was charging 25 plus 20 or more for shipping. I hate when people overcharge for shipping. Do I really have any better options though?

This is on a 94 lx sedan.

Thanks.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
+1. You should be able to find a good one at the junkyard.

· Registered
94 Posts
Wow. A busted trailing arm. THAT's a first. Yeah, JY will be fine. One would assume that yours took a direct hit sometime in its life, was weakened or even fractured, and the metal just now finally fatigued. Since it's the first one I've ever heard of, and since I've worked on the bass end of these quite a few times, my vote is go with the JY piece. btw, although the trailing arm gives precise location for and aft, the strut and the lateral link bushings would keep it from moving TOO far for and aft. It'd be kinda drivable.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
But have fun putting another one on. There is always tension on the rear trailing arm so when you go to put a new one on you'll have to flex the knuckle to get the bar on. I had my bar partially rust through and I replaced it before it could break. If you are driving it without the bar then I bet it got bent farther back, making putting a new bar on even more difficult.
Bottom line, don't drive it until you get the bar replaced.

· Registered
818 Posts
I think he's confusing the trailing arm for a stabilizer link.

If the trailing arm were broken, the car would not be driveable.

You can get the rear stabilizer links for about $10 each at any parts store.

How about you post a picture so we can be sure?

· Registered
552 Posts
i've driven mine with the trailing arm snapped short a short distance, the guy I bought it from had broken it, and welded it back together and I ddint notice it when I was looking at all the other broken stuff. The welds snapped when I was towing it home. It sucks, but I had to drive it over so I could weld that damn captive nut. It just feels really sloppy in the rear, and is a good way to ruin your struts/mounts/tires.

It is possible to drive on them. I drove mine over with a strut mount that was so beat the strut was no longer attached to anything.

Get one from a junkyard. I got a good quality one from the junkyard for cheap.

It was really easy to change, but then again, I was replacing the rear struts and springs at the same time.

· Registered
408 Posts
I had sams club bend mine when they did the tires in the rear. I did not notice until a few months later when I said wtf is the car handleing so funny. They told me thye were not going to pay for the damage so I have not been back ince. I also limited my shoppping at walmart since those two are the same

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I did end up getting at pretty decent one at the jy for 25, which I thought was kind of high, but I guess not compared to the 80 the dealer wanted for a new one. Never really noticed a difference driving without it, but I'm glad to have it on there.

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
We are unsure of what part you actually broke. If you did truly break a trailing arm you would notice a difference and probably not be able to drive the car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.