FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Tracer LTS with the better part of 300k on the engine. When the temperature outside is 65 degrees or cooler, the engine blows blue smoke. If it is a warmer day, the engine blows zero smoke at start up. In fact, the hotter it is outside, the better this car runs. Any ideas on how to resolve the smoke issue would be greatly appreciated. This car is a daily driver with routine maintenance performed.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Perform wet and dry compression tests. On a wet you should want to see about 160psi across the board with little variance. Burning oil (blue smoke) typically occurs with bad rings or valve guide seals. compression test will let you know if any cylinders aren't sealing well. (rings, guides, head gasket) I have pulled a 1.8l apart at 220,000 org. miles. It was well maintained and you could still see honing marks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. i will run the comp test. if the comp test checks good, then it is the valve seats?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
If so.., most like valve guide seals. Problem is, I think head has to be removed to replace them properly! So that means mo' money! Head gasket, coolant, thermostat, oil and filter, and anything else that's needed.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yes you have to remove the head to do them properly OR buy a really expensive tool that works iffy and spend 2 days doing 16 seals, might as well pop the head off to do it, if the smoke isn't bothering you or people behind you I wouldn't worry TOO much it's not like it's going to die right away but it does need to get fixed eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts